Speed issue

n10rd

Jan 2, 2015
Hi,

I have 300Mb bradband with Virgin Media and I have this going to one of these card in my ProxMOX server "Intel Corporation 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)". I have another of these cards going to my network. I have created a VM and instaleld pfSense 2.3. When I run speedtest on my network using the virtio drivers for these cards I get about 10-20Mb on the download speed from speedtest, when I use the e1000 drivers for these cards I get about 140Mbs onthe download speed and 30 on the up(which is correct for my 300/30 connection). I installed the pfsense software on a physical machine and moved the interl cards to it and I get about 315Mb on the download speed. My question is how can I get the speed from the virtualised pfSense as I would rather ot use this on a physical machine.

TIA
n10rd

I have the exact same issue, it does not matter if I use pfSense or OPNsense. What I have noticed is that if I download directly on the box and using VirtIO I get decent speed, but as soon as one of the LAN devices tries the speed goes down to 30Mbit both upload and download. If I then again test locally on pfSense/OPNsense box I get 500-700Mbit on a 1000Mbit line. This is the only thing keeping me back from virtualizing my firewall.

Info:
proxmox-ve: 4.2-48 (running kernel: 4.4.6-1-pve)
lshw -short
H/W path Device Class Description
======================================================
/0/0 memory 141GiB System memory
/0/1 processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5680 @ 3.33GHz
/0/2 processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5680 @ 3.33GHz
/0/100/7/0 eth0 network 82576NS Gigabit Network Connection
/0/100/7/0.1 eth1 network 82576NS Gigabit Network Connection
/0/100/1c/0 eth2 network 82575EB Gigabit Network Connection
/0/100/1c/0.1 eth3 network 82575EB Gigabit Network Connection

I have a similar problem, but the network on the server itself is slow.
If I run a speedtest, I only download at 2Mbps
I have a 50Mbps connection.
The odd thing is: If I have another server on the same network and mount NFS to this server, I can download (using rsync) files at normal speeds to the NFS mounted drive on the PM server.
That's very confusing. How can the PM server be slow to download, but an NFS mounted system download normally?

To sum up:
PM Server: 50Mbps link->Rsync from an internet based server with 1Gbps link = getting about 2Mpbs
Other server (Ubuntu): 50Mbps link, mounted NFS to PM server->Rsync the same file from the 1Gbps link and getting about 30Mbps.

Happy to, but as a paying customer, it sure would be nice to get some help.

Good to hear that you are a paying customer. Commercial support is done via https://my.proxmox.com, so please open a support ticket there.

But in any case, you cannot spam the forum with useless one word postings - this is a waste of time for all other forum users. Thanks for your understanding.

Best change to get answers here, is asking clear questions to the point. As your issue seems related to pfsense and their virtio drivers, you should dig deeper there - did you read all pfsense/bsd related forum posts? use the search function.

Perhaps I should post a new topic then. I am not using PfSense.
We are a paying customer, but only at the forum level. So if we can't get support via the forums, is there another option?
Should I start a new post?

If you are a community subscriber, you should add you key in your profile.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!