New packages in pvetest, new GUI, new 4.4 Kernel!

I'm exploring Proxmox for the first time (having first considered LXD on Ubuntu 16.04 but failed to find a suitable web management gui).

Timing was perfect with this test release as I'm testing anyway, so I thought I'd try. Manual install on fresh Jessie build.

Initial impressions very positive with 2 VMs and a Jessie lxc container, however I've hit issues trying to create an Ubuntu container...

Neither the 15.10 image from your downloads or a 16.04 image from the Ubuntu published templates will start correctly. Systemd is failing early on, so while I can get a shell in the container, nothing is set up (eg. no network).
I can't be sure having not used a previous Proxmox version, but at least the 15.10 build is tried and tested so it seems to be a systemd issue caused by this release?

Starting 15.10 the messages are:
Code:
readline() on closed filehandle $fd at /usr/share/lxc/hooks/lxc-pve-autodev-hook line 32.
systemd 225 running in system mode. (+PAM +AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA +APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ -LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID -ELFUTILS +KMOD -IDN)
Detected virtualization lxc.
Detected architecture x86-64.

Welcome to Ubuntu 15.10!

Set hostname to <mythtv2>.
Failed to install release agent, ignoring: Input/output error
Failed to create root cgroup hierarchy: No such file or directory
Failed to allocate manager object: No such file or directory
[!!!!!!] Failed to allocate manager object, freezing.

Starting 16.04 slightly different:
Code:
readline() on closed filehandle $fd at /usr/share/lxc/hooks/lxc-pve-autodev-hook line 32.
systemd 229 running in system mode. (+PAM +AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA +APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ -LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS +KMOD -IDN)

Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS!

Set hostname to <MythTV>.
Failed to create /lxc/102/init.scope control group: No such file or directory
Freezing execution.
Changing 16.04 over to upstart now works fine, so that's my workaround for now (in fact I've saved a new template based on that for the short term).

Trying to diagnose I see previous mentions in the forum of issues with lxc and older systemd versions, but as noted in the above, both these Ubunutu releases are on newer versions than the jessie host. I also updated a jessie container with systemd-sysv, and that starts OK.

Hit a small problem updating to kernel 4.4. I have an Intel Pro/1000 VT quad port Ethernet card, and under lspci it's listed as 4 separate devices at addresses 07:00.0, 07:00.1, 08:00.0 and 08:00.1. I used to passthrough 2 ports to my pfSense VM with a single line in the conf file:
Code:
hostpci0: 08:00

After kernel 4.4, only one port was passed through, so I had to change the conf file to:
Code:
hostpci0: 08:00.0
hostpci1: 08:00.1

Edit: Whoops, looks like the problem is not in the kernel. Booting into the leftover 4.2 kernel results in the same behavior. Might be in qemu-server, then?

Further to my experience below, I've now found the issue/solution for systemd on Ubuntu containers with the latest pvetest on a clean jessie install.

On top of my inital exerience below, I also noticed that /proc/cpuinfo, /proc/uptime and other (lxcfs delivered) files were empty in all containers, which some packages understandably did not like (including newer systemd it seems).

I'm not sure if it affect users who are upgrading (maybe not as I don't see anyone else reporting this issue?), but certainly for a clean jessie+pvetest install, lxcfs does not start on the node. This is a result of /var/lib/lxcfs being populated during install with empty files, and lxcfs refusing to start on an non-empty directory. The workaround in is to delete the contents of /var/lib/lxcfs and restart the node (or manually start lxcfs). After that everything is working much better!

Please can you fix this in the next update to pvetest?

Also, on a different note, I saw others asking about supporting containers from images.linuxcontainer.org more easilly. In fact it seems the actual setup process is quite happy detecting the compression and working from .tar.xz images. It's just the check that's done during upload needs tweaking to accept .tar.xz as well as .tar.gz - renaming a tar.zx to tar.gz to trick the upload test will install fine on pvetest - proven with a nighly CentOS container. Any chance of adding this small change for the next release?

I'm exploring Proxmox for the first time (having first considered LXD on Ubuntu 16.04 but failed to find a suitable web management gui).

Timing was perfect with this test release as I'm testing anyway, so I thought I'd try. Manual install on fresh Jessie build.

Initial impressions very positive with 2 VMs and a Jessie lxc container, however I've hit issues trying to create an Ubuntu container...

Neither the 15.10 image from your downloads or a 16.04 image from the Ubuntu published templates will start correctly. Systemd is failing early on, so while I can get a shell in the container, nothing is set up (eg. no network).
I can't be sure having not used a previous Proxmox version, but at least the 15.10 build is tried and tested so it seems to be a systemd issue caused by this release?

Starting 15.10 the messages are:
Code:
systemd 225 running in system mode. (+PAM +AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA +APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ -LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID -ELFUTILS +KMOD -IDN)

Welcome to Ubuntu 15.10!

Set hostname to <mythtv2>.
Failed to create root cgroup hierarchy: No such file or directory

Starting 16.04 slightly different:
Code:
systemd 229 running in system mode. (+PAM +AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA +APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP +LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ -LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS +KMOD -IDN)

Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS!

Set hostname to <MythTV>.
Failed to create /lxc/102/init.scope control group: No such file or directory
Freezing execution.
Changing 16.04 over to upstart now works fine, so that's my workaround for now (in fact I've saved a new template based on that for the short term).

Trying to diagnose I see previous mentions in the forum of issues with lxc and older systemd versions, but as noted in the above, both these Ubunutu releases are on newer versions than the jessie host. I also updated a jessie container with systemd-sysv, and that starts OK.

Further to my experience below, I've now found the issue/solution for systemd on Ubuntu containers with the latest pvetest on a clean jessie install.

On top of my inital exerience below, I also noticed that /proc/cpuinfo, /proc/uptime and other (lxcfs delivered) files were empty in all containers, which some packages understandably did not like (including newer systemd it seems).

I'm not sure if it affect users who are upgrading (maybe not as I don't see anyone else reporting this issue?), but certainly for a clean jessie+pvetest install, lxcfs does not start on the node. This is a result of /var/lib/lxcfs being populated during install with empty files, and lxcfs refusing to start on an non-empty directory. The workaround in is to delete the contents of /var/lib/lxcfs and restart the node (or manually start lxcfs). After that everything is working much better!

Could you open a new thread for this with the exact steps you did to run into this issue? A clean minimal install of jessie and following the HowTo at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie works for me (lxcfs is correctly installed and started).

Please include as much information as possible (which jessie installation image, which selections in the installer, exact steps after the jessie installation, any error messages, ..).

Same here...clean look but still having the same functionality. Great! ;)

Probably we can add some custom settings (color themes) later, because i'm managing multiple clusters in different scopes and sometime i just don't know in which GUI i am ;)

Being able to switch the theme would be nice.
I liked the old one :-(

The boot order under the option tab of my VMs can't be changed with the new theme. Posted it on bugzilla.

Hi!

OS X El Capitan, Safari - new GUI any problems:

pic00.png

Chrome - all ok.

pic01.png

---
Best regards,
Gosha

when will the proxmox 4.2 release? I am planning to upgrade from 3.3 to 4.2 at the moment.

I'm under pve-no-subscription, and received the new gui anyway. Was this intended?

Wery well done, in any case.

rob

yes, the new gui is already stable.

Reactions: morph027
badencode.png

see the pic...
windows 2003 simplified chinese chrome

Last edited:
no i meant in windows, the gui gets the timezone information from your browser which gets it from your client operating system

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!