Fresh Install: Unable to find LVM root

alatteri

Hi,

I'm doing a fresh install of 4.1 on an HP z620. I cleaned the drive prior to install with Gparted Live. Install goes fine but on reboot I get the error: Volume group "pve" not found.

I've done plenty of Proxmox installs on other hardware no problem, first time on this machine model.

See attached photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    493.7 KB · Views: 40
Hi
Can you try

vgchange -ay
exit

from the rescue shell ?

We're seeing this issue as well on a fresh 4.2 install. Anyone know of a permanent fix

pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 4.2-48 (running kernel: 4.4.6-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.2-2 (running version: 4.2-2/725d76f0)
pve-kernel-4.4.6-1-pve: 4.4.6-48
lvm2: 2.02.116-pve2
corosync-pve: 2.3.5-2
libqb0: 1.0-1
pve-cluster: 4.0-39
qemu-server: 4.0-72
pve-firmware: 1.1-8
libpve-common-perl: 4.0-59
libpve-access-control: 4.0-16
libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-50
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.5-2
vncterm: 1.2-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.5-14
pve-container: 1.0-62
pve-firewall: 2.0-25
pve-ha-manager: 1.0-28
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u1
lxc-pve: 1.1.5-7
lxcfs: 2.0.0-pve2
cgmanager: 0.39-pve1
criu: 1.6.0-1
zfsutils: 0.6.5-pve9~jessie

FYI I tried appending rootdelay=10 to /etc/default/grub, and the problem continued. I then changed rootdelay=10 to rootdelay=30 still with no luck. I ran update-grub after each change.

Should that string go in a different file?

Hi
Can you try

vgchange -ay
exit

from the rescue shell ?

it should then finish the boot.

( temporary fix )

after that that can you post the output of /proc/cmdline ?

just to make sure - you added it to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and not as a separate line? i.e., it should end up in the generated linux kernel boot parameters in /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Thank you very much. I added the root delay to the GRUB_CMDLINE and now it works correctly. For anyone else who experiences the issue, here's the full line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet rootdelay=10"

Here's the output of /proc/cmdline:
# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.6-1-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet rootdelay=10

Also if if helps with troubleshooting.... We install three servers with Promxox 4.1 last month and never experienced this issue. We rebooted each of those servers at least a dozen time. These new server have identical hardware and with a fresh install of Proxmox 4.2 this error occurs at least 20% of the time after a reboot.

Reactions: ebiss

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!