Shrink qcow2 image

pcglue

Mar 2, 2016
I wanted to increase a VM's hard drive size from 4G to 8G. I mistakenly added 4000G, thinking it was 4000M. So the VM thinks there is a 4TB drive now. I couldn't see a way to shrink the size in Proxmox GUI. I read that qemu-img from CLI can do it, but only on raw images. I have qcow2 image. I only have 500GB hard drive, so if I convert qcow2 to raw format in order to shrink it, will it try to create a 4TB raw image (for which I have no space for)? Is there another way to shrink the qcow2 size? Since qcow2 is sparse, I am OK as long as I keep the partition in my VM at the desired 8G, but still would like to correct this. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, what I ended up doing was creating a second 8GB hard disk, re-create the exact partition table, clone the partition from the first disk with dd and reinstalling grub onto the new disk. Then I tested I could boot from it and got rid of the first disk.

Could you elaborate on how you did that clone operation with dd? I have been trying to accomplish this exact feat, but through a NetCat pipe. When you ran "dd" did you set 'of=' to a real block device or a virtual one?

It was a real block device (real from the VM's perspective anyway).
Making sure the partitions were of equal size, I ran:
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1

/dev/sda was the original 4GB disk that I mistakenly increased to 4TB in size. /dev/sdb is the new 8GB disk.

Thanks, what I ended up doing was creating a second 8GB hard disk, re-create the exact partition table, clone the partition from the first disk with dd and reinstalling grub onto the new disk. Then I tested I could boot from it and got rid of the first disk.

That's good. There seems to be also a different way of doing from jamescoyle.net:

http://www.jamescoyle.net/how-to/323-reclaim-disk-space-from-a-sparse-image-file-qcow2-vmdk

His idea is similar to yours somewhat, instead he used qemu img convert to resize the disk.

It was a real block device (real from the VM's perspective anyway).
Making sure the partitions were of equal size, I ran:
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1

/dev/sda was the original 4GB disk that I mistakenly increased to 4TB in size. /dev/sdb is the new 8GB disk.
I used in the same situation livecd (gparted) and
dd if=/dev/vda of=/dev/vdb bs=1M conv=sync
and it cloned everything perfectrly clean, even boot records.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!