LXC over KVM in VE 4.1

btel

Jan 20, 2016
Hi All:

I just installed and playing around with latest CE 4.1. I had impression that since it uses LXC containers so all guest must have same OS. But I'm still able to install CentOS 6 and CentOS 7 separate guest images. Can someone explain the basic here & point right documents?

Thanks a lot.

In PVE 4 you have the choice among two guest technologies - QEMU/KVM for full virtualization, this supports a range of guest operating systems (not only Linux, but also BSD, Windows, ..) and LXC for containers, which as the name Linux Containers implies, only supports Linux guests (because the kernel is shared with the host operating system). LXC guests can run a different Linux distribution than installed on the host (for example, a Proxmox VE host can run Debian, Ubuntu, Redhat, Suse, .. guests).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!