Proxmox VE4: 2 nodes HA failover possbile (with a trick?)

Ruben Waitz

Aug 6, 2012
Hi,

I've extensively tested PVE4 in HA mode with DRBD9 on a 3 nodes cluster, based on the instructions at http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/High_Availability_Cluster_4.x
The fail-over mechanism works nice!

Now I need to setup a PVE4 HA/DRBD9 cluster with 2 nodes. I know the wiki page (mentioned above) requires 3 nodes, but is it possible to do it with 2 nodes somehow? My current setup seems to work fine, but lacks to do the actual fail-over. I found this article http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Two-Node_High_Availability_Cluster, but that's for the old PVE version.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Ruben

If you want HA failover, you *must* have at least three nodes. The third node can be a tiny box that does never run any VMs.

Hi vkhera,

Thank you for answering.
I assume this tiny box is for the quorum/pmxcfs.

Do you think the HD of this tiny box could also be small?
To put it simply, when I create the DRBD9 configuration, does it matter the 'tiny box' node has a small HD? (Furthermore in the PVE-UI I can configure fail-over only the other nodes).

Thank you in advance for answering!

Ruben

Hi vkhera,

Thank you for answering.
I assume this tiny box is for the quorum/pmxcfs.

Do you think the HD of this tiny box could also be small?
To put it simply, when I create the DRBD9 configuration, does it matter the 'tiny box' node has a small HD? (Furthermore in the PVE-UI I can configure fail-over only the other nodes).

Thank you in advance for answering!

Ruben

Yes the third node can simply provide a vote to achieve quorum. You can setup groups and failover domains to ensure the VM only runs on specific nodes. There should be no issue with the 3rd node having a small harddrive.

I was thinking about this and how PVE4 does not have support for a quorum disk. I was about to set up a third tiny node for quorum as the PVE dev's suggest, but then I realized that now I have to go buy another license key since all nodes on my cluster must be licensed to the same level, so that adds another 220EUR annually just for that.

I would request that there be a cheap or free license for this use case.

I was thinking about this and how PVE4 does not have support for a quorum disk. I was about to set up a third tiny node for quorum as the PVE dev's suggest, but then I realized that now I have to go buy another license key since all nodes on my cluster must be licensed to the same level, so that adds another 220EUR annually just for that.

I would request that there be a cheap or free license for this use case.

If your that concerned about it, use the free repo's for the 3rd node.

hi

may be rebuilding a minimal set of proxmox cluster related package for rasberry is a good alternative :)

A+

If your that concerned about it, use the free repo's for the 3rd node.

From the subscription purchase page: "In a Proxmox VE Cluster you need to have the same subscription level for all your servers." so your idea doesn't work, as I pointed out originally.

may be rebuilding a minimal set of proxmox cluster related package for rasberry is a good alternative :)

The proxmox developers indicated they did not have the inclination to do this. I do not know what minimal set of packages would be necessary for this to build it myself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!