Bridge Bond0 - Lost Nework

NetRock

Renowned Member
Apr 23, 2015
Hi..

Using the web gui, in poroxmox 4, I created bond bridge; bond0 with two NICs (eth0, eth1) and vmbr0 with port bond0, as follows:
Code:
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual[B][/B]

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
	 slaves eth0 eth1
	 bond_miimon 100
	 bond_mode active-backup

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
	 address  192.168.1.110
	 netmask  255.255.255.0
	 bridge_ports bond0
	 bridge_stp off
	 bridge_fd 0
After the reboot to apply the pending configuration, i lost the nework connectivity and cannot ping the host.
Can someone help, please.
Before doing this, i had the defualt setting which is vmbr0 with bridge-port eth0

Thank you for your quick prompts.

I fixed some bonding issues by adding:

bridge_maxage 0
bridge_ageing 0
bridge_maxwait 0

To vmbr0.

Thanks for your comment. I will try it out to see if these settings help out. Meanwhile, what I want to know is that can I remove vmbr0, and add only bond0 with the 2 NICs as slave to bind0. Or I need to have vmbr0. All I really need is the teaming between the two physical NICs. In a case one goes down the other one takes over....
Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
You can assign an IP address directly to bond0 if you don't need the bridge. The bridge is there so your VMs can connect to the network. Think of the bridge as a network switch. If you don't need that, then you can eliminate it.

I have physical network switch, so I guest I don't need the vmbr0. I have removed vmbr0 and added IP to bond0 and the two physical NICs... Reboot and I did ifconfig, I see only lo.... No sign of bond0.... Can not ping the host as well... Do you know what I can do to solve my issue.... It works ok with vmbr0 but not bond0.... Is there a clear step by step procedures I can follow... I set the bond0 to auto start also....
YOUR HELP HIGHLY APPRECIATED....
thank you for your time

Last edited:
I added IP only to bond0 not the physical NICs... I did not enter anything for physical NICs configuration....

Last edited:
Also, I think we can't remove vmbr0, as the network management uses vmbr0 not bond0..... It's a very simple configuration.... Just two NICs with teaming.... Like one NIC active and the other standby... But it just doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:
Unless you really know what you're doing and have a specific reason to not use the bridge it's very likely you need it. It's how your virtual machines connect to a network. So you will end up with:

VM virtual NICs -> bridge -> bond -> physical NICs -> physical switch

It sounds like you should probably read https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

Unless you really know what you're doing and have a specific reason to not use the bridge it's very likely you need it. It's how your virtual machines connect to a network. So you will end up with:

VM virtual NICs -> bridge -> bond -> physical NICs -> physical switch

It sounds like you should probably read https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
Thanks for the link....
And for your help and time.

I'm trying to do the same thing. I've noticed that every time you add the bond to the bridge it disables the autostart on the bond. on the console if you do a "service networking status" it says the bond0 device is missing and as such vmbr0 will not start.

I'm trying to do the same thing. I've noticed that every time you add the bond to the bridge it disables the autostart on the bond. on the console if you do a "service networking status" it says the bond0 device is missing and as such vmbr0 will not start.
I think this is a bug report. Linux bond création is broken through Web interface.

fix is already in pvetest repository ...
Good to know, do you have the link (or the name of the package) to the package that fixes this issue, please..... ;)
Thank you for your help .....

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!