Backup Solution

cm350

Jan 16, 2015
Hi Guys,

We had in the past some serious problems with the backup tool in ProxMox. Especially the relation with Exchange was dramatically.

So my question to you guys is, what Backup Solution do you use for Exchange, SQL backups?

For both (exchange or ms sql) you need an application aware backup tool.

Proxmox VE is doing snapshot backups - this is a good way to recover fast but additionally, you need a application aware backup for these servers.

There are countless commercial products for this task available.

And which one has your high recommendations?

As I moved all my production servers to Debian Linux some time ago, I have no day-by-day experience with current MS backup solutions. Years ago I worked with Backup Exec, but this relationship was not always a real love affair ...

Honestly, for MSSQL backups I just use the MSSQL Server Backup capability built into it run on a regular schedule to do a backup of our database to a separate location (in our case, a secondary drive on the VM from which a set of scripts run to do an offsite copy of the backup as well as two separate local-network copies of the backup). We use Office365, so I can't comment on backing up Exchange.

We used to use BackupExec, but for us, it ended up just being a total nightmare in the long run.

I have used R1Soft with very positive results for both MSSQL and Exchange server, it will also support MySQL, in fact they are very good with database backup. It is very fast and supports continuous data protection, running backup every hour. Each backup is a full backup and is also an image for bare metal restore. It works great with both Linux and Windows and have a great web interface, can send your backup to secondary location and much more. Only thing I miss is deduplication, but the say it will come in the future.

Compared with many other Enterprise backup solutions it is also very cheap. Can’t remember the price, but it was something like 10$ pr. server. You can use your own storage or rent a storage place.

Link: http://www.r1soft.com/

For Open Source solution I have looked at Borg backup, a fork of Attic backup. I looks VERY promising but you need to write your own scripts and it is manly only for Linux.
Link: https://borgbackup.readthedocs.org

Or you could look at Urbackup, another Open Source solution. It also looks very promising for both Linux and Windows with image backup for Windows. It have a strange looking web interface, but the new version that is soon to be released have a more modern look. It is also more in the Enterprise direction.
Link: http://www.urbackup.org

But I am always looking for the best backup solution, so if anyone else have better backup solutions, especial Open Source solutions, I am all ears... :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!