PVE 4.0 beta - Ubuntu 14.04 container not 64-bit

mlanner

Renowned Member
Apr 1, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Hi,

I've installed PVE 4.0 beta and I ran 'pveam update' to get the latest LXC templates. I then proceeded to download the 'Ubuntu Trusty (standard) template, which downloaded just fine, showing up as 'ubuntu-14.04-standard_14.04-1_amd64.tar.gz'. However, when I launch an image based on this template, if I run 'uname -a' in the container, it shows up as i686, a 32-bit machine.

While I do understand that it is many times desirable to run 32-bit machines in containers, for the application I'm containerizing, it needs a 64-bit OS. Is this simply a mis-labeling of the image or is it pointed to the wrong file? In either case, is there a 64-bit Ubuntu Trusty LXC container in the Proxmox repos that I can download?

Thanks in advance!

Well, it was worth a try. Unfortunately using 'setarch x86_64' doesn't work in my case, as the application I'm trying to install is specifically looking at 'uname -a'. I'll keep on digging and will report back here if I find a solution.

Use a bash script to relink uname, as a dirty workaround?

backup your old uname from /bin/uname then save this as the new /bin/uname
Code:
#!/bin/bash

setarch x86_64 uname "$@"
should work for your purpose.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!