FATAL: Module jfs not found.

root@pve1:~# find /lib/modules -name jfs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-22-pve/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-32-pve/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-20-pve/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-26-pve/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-31-pve/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-29-pve/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.ko

cool. I had my backups, logs and templates with jfs mounted.

=( sad to loose data with simple apt-get dist-upgrade. I can't boot with older kernel, its semi-production server.

=( sad to loose data with simple apt-get dist-upgrade. I can't boot with older kernel, its semi-production server.

I will try to compile it again with next kernel release. For now, you can reboot with older kernel to access the data.

In general I think JFS is not really used/maintained by many people, so it it safer to use common file systems
like ext3, ext4, xfs and recently zfs.

As this was our first node, we decided to use jfs there for local storage (backup and isos) and logs as it really pretty good FS, which uses very low cpu.

XFS is not a good option, as there are a lot of problems with it, when you use GlusterFS. The most popular is about time-out due to lock or smth like this error, as for this case, XFS must have an allocsize=64k key during mount or format time... And there are some problems with openz's quota using XFS (at least there were problems, when we tried it). Not much experience with zfs, but ext4 I would definitely recommend with Proxmox for any solution.

But well, at this time we had JFS and now lost data after upgrade and reboot.
Had to reformat storages to ext4 and atm we are without latest backups. Hope nothing will happen until next backup otherwise will have to restore from much older ones.

I think there should be some information in free access (Proxmox Announcements Forum?) when such serious things are going to happen (dropped kernel module is pretty seriuos)

I think there should be some information in free access (Proxmox Announcements Forum?) when such serious things are going to happen (dropped kernel module is pretty seriuos)

First, you do not loose data (all you need to do is to boot the old kernel). Kernel updates can always have side effect, so it is a good idea
to test before you upgrade you our production servers.

We are fully open souces, and you can track any changes on:

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kernel-2.6.32.git;a=summary

it is a good idea to test before you upgrade you our production servers.
We are fully open souces, and you can track any changes on:
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kernel-2.6.32.git;a=summary

I agree with the RRJ: searching git repository is useful if you're a developer, and to keep tracks of ongoing developement, but with new release (kernel or other) a list of new/changed/removed features would help and be much more clear for everybody. Not the first time I see this request in this forum, nothing changed since, though.

As I see it, omitting removed features previously included (whatever) seems like hoping that nobody notices... :D

Marco

yes, i lose :) technically - not. But I can't restart servers that often. So i'd better wipe out partitions with new FS. All I'm trying to say is for me this time such huge change was not deadly, but could be for some1 else if ie root partition was under JFS. I do understand, that fully tested things are available only with subscription (but again - no change logs, so what difference between free and subscription?), but as for community - it would be very useful to have change logs / release notices not only on git hub (I'm not developer, so I don't even imagine, how git hub works, but I'm pretty heave user, who do not leave community and tries to report any suspicious thing to forums, that way I contribute. If you'll take a look @ my registration date and posts number from this time, it could say much: if I report something, it means there is really something wrong, except those few time with my own mistakes.).
And yes, seems like now I will have to setup and run a testing environment.

Sorry to write this, but Porxmox was much more better when it was not that way commercial and fully community driven; never had any surprises even when updated from version to version. Now I'm really afraid to apt-get update / dist-upgrade, its like ubuntu now: never know how next apt-get will surprise you. Even your and tom's reactions were much more better on reports here and I do remember, how you helped me to debug things. This time I was alone with my trouble and 3rd party community helped me to debug the bug which is not related to them. Strange things happen to proxmox. Sorry.

Last edited:
http://forum.proxmox.com/archive/index.php/t-21647.html it was in fact already posted, and I could think that it's difficult do mention all changes, because there are really a lot of them you never really know which one affects someone bad, as there are almost infinity different configurations and use cases, and not everything can be controlled by a project, if the OpenVZ kernel gives trouble to compile it with JFS it's a bit out of Proxmox hand.
I mean you can't demand that they fix every bug from every project the use somehow indirectly, even if only 2 people out of thousands have a use case with this. When you start to do that you haven't any time to develop your own project and it'll be dead soon.
And as everything IS open source and for example if you look at this here: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kernel-2.6.32.git;a=summary the entry on the "2015-02-27" shows clearly without hiding anything, or silently dropping something, what happened. For sure, your right, a notification about something would be nice, but then we have a big pile of change logs somewhere linked which say exactly them same as the git commits (they do exactly what changelogs do, say what changed even better the state also why), and maybe also then some (for sure not a lot but) people would give proxmox shit if something doesn’t worked any more for them, even if it's clearly stated there.
And i, personally, prefer that proxmox uses paid support, which is was subscription is for, the enterprise are only less cutting edge and a bit more tested, and delivers great open source software as opposed to file bankruptcy, I mean somehow they also have to live and eat, paid support is one oft the best ways to do that, mos open source software projects with small companies behind them, do that.

A bit off topic,and I didn't what to call you out or something, but is often a bit easier to complain when your not thinking that there are people who work really hard behind some open source projects, and try to do their best.
I will try to compile it again with next kernel release. For now, you can reboot with older kernel to access the data.
He can't really to more than that at the moment, so i don’t know if your right that he doesn't tries to help you...

Next time when you update the kernel have a quick view about the recent commit messages in the following link, you can do that without being a developer, it hasn't to do with coding, and you can upgrade safely.
When then something fails you have every right to complain ;)
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kernel-2.6.32.git;a=summary (note this is NOT the kernel from the actual 4beta, "only" from older OpenVZ versions...)

Last edited by a moderator:
toni.patroni
tnx for chilling me down...
tom, dietmar, community, I'm sorry about things I wrote in #8.
Those are just emotions and result of red-eyes-effect due to not sleeping a lot last 2 months trying to figure out, why only D8 installation fails with gluster devs and one of them is from US, so I could speak to him only at nigh time for me.

Sorry once more time

toni.patroni
and yes, i even wrote some time ago here on forums, that it is nice decision (about paid support) and even almost convinced my company to pay.. just emotions.

Last edited:
I mean you can't demand that they fix every bug from every project the use somehow indirectly, even if only 2 people out of thousands have a use case with this.

It's not about fixing upstream bugs, is about warn users about possible issues due to removed features in your product. The entire pve kernel is a proxmox product, it's not a module, afaik.

And as everything IS open source and for example if you look at this here: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kernel-2.6.32.git;a=summary the entry on the "2015-02-27" shows clearly without hiding anything, or silently dropping something, what happened. For sure, your right, a notification about something would be nice, but then we have a big pile of change logs somewhere linked which say exactly them same as the git commits (they do exactly what changelogs do, say what changed even better the state also why), and maybe also then some (for sure not a lot but) people would give proxmox shit if something doesn’t worked any more for them, even if it's clearly stated there.

I love pve, since years, use it professionally, have subscribed my servers, and Dietmar is my hero, really, I appreciate even more that he's personally posting on general forums, and not only on dev mailing lists.
They all are great developers, and they have (they always had) a vision, and that's why pve is unique and quite rock solid.

But, pve users, many of which also subscribers I guess, are now frequently pointed, in forum replies, to the git to know nearly everything changed. Otherwise, with new releases a sticky post appears, mostly about new great features, and that's the only source. Comments to those posts frequently ask many details about the release, because otherwise you have to dig into git. But git is for developers, not for users, imho.

At least the most important changes (apart from new great features, which everyone is happy to discuss about) should be mentioned somewhere: probably the wiki should have a dedicated page for every release changes (a sort of git changes summary, perhaps) even if it comes a few days later... obviously volunteers could contribute, on that wiki page, I am not saying pve staff should do everything. But they should keep an eye on those pages, if possible, to be sure people get right infos.

(That said, I am probably biased because I am also fond of another great FLOSS software (Blender), which: has git, where you can find atomic changes to code, mailing lists and IRC to discuss most tech things.
For more general users, though, they also have an online manual, a wiki where, amongst other topics,*** every release ***, since its start, has a release log, quite detailed, and developers or others are maintaining those.
Everything is open to contributions for registered users. There's plenty of information suited to different kind of users, even those which are just evaluating the software.

Then, on their website, volunteers (and I am one of those, you can ask to volunteer) put release logs in a nicer shape and pictures, and with a summary, for less technical users or people just interested in what's new.
If a feature is removed, users are warned there, also. Quite different.)

A bit off topic,and I didn't what to call you out or something, but is often a bit easier to complain when your not thinking that there are people who work really hard behind some open source projects, and try to do their best.

I am not just complaining: I did something similar on pve wiki, about upstream changes on something that's quite important for pve: windows virtio drivers.
I created this page http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_VirtIO_Drivers/Changelog and I see that later someone else jumped in.

Can't something like that be done, by skilled enough people, for upstream changes but also for all (relevant) changes made from pve ?
Could it be useful?

Marco

Last edited:
At least the most important changes (apart from new great features, which everyone is happy to discuss about) should be mentioned somewhere

Each package has a changelog, so we have:

1.) git log (very detailed)
2.) package changelog (detailed)
3.) release information (overview).

Each package has a changelog, so we have:

1.) git log (very detailed)
2.) package changelog (detailed)
3.) release information (overview).

Thanks, yes, I knew that. (btw one point in the release information is just "* kernel updates"...)

But how can I find which changes happened in all packages between two pve releases? Not a simple task, I guess.
git repository https://git.proxmox.com/ has every package as separate project (nearly 60 projects a re listed)... or so it seems.

I am a git newbie, but is there a way to get a single list of all changes from all packages from the old release to the latest one?
If there isn't, could a script be created to get that kind of list? or which is the simplest method?
And, I suppose that in that way it could get *all* changes so even lesser ones, or reverts, and such.
Is there any convention to mark commits with comments or tags so to be able to get mainly relevant ones?
This post is no more the right place for this topic, but I dont' know where it is better to discuss this.

Marco

Last edited:
Thanks, yes, I knew that. (btw one point in the release information is just "* kernel updates"...)

I could generate such list, but it would be totally useless because it is too long, and we have rolling releases - so every
user has different package versions before update ...

In general I think JFS is not really used/maintained by many people, so it it safer to use common file systems
like ext3, ext4, xfs and recently zfs.

It is used less than other filesystems but it is very stable and maintained, I see JFS related commits in mainline just last week.
I have several VMs using JFS mostly because it can be formatted case-insensitive which is really handy when moving files from Windows to Linux.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!