how do you keep a single package up to date from repository not in your apt sources?

Re: how do you keep a single package up to date from repository not in your apt sourc

Hi,
due this package is in wheezy-backports you can easy install this source-list and install the package from wheezy-backports (-t wheezy-backports).

After that apt take care to use the actual version.

Udo

Re: how do you keep a single package up to date from repository not in your apt sourc

i dont want anything else from backports, just that one package. its a temporary concern since the next version of proxmox should have it.

Hi,
and where is the problem? You got only the packages from backport, which you install from this source.

Udo

dont want newer versions of other packages. its not a big deal, since i dont think they'll hurt. but the system works well as it is, so i dont want to change it.

dont want newer versions of other packages. its not a big deal, since i dont think they'll hurt. but the system works well as it is, so i dont want to change it.

Hi,
you know that's grossly negligent?!

But if you simply do an "apt-get -t wheezy-backports install package-name" after an "apt-get update", you update only this one package.

But I wonder, that you want to update this one package but other (important) packages not.

Udo

i was not clear. i want my updates to be from the stable repositories instead of backports. except that one package. otherwise, a backported newer version other packages can get pulled in. like i said, in this case, it does not hurt anything, so i will do this.

but, now im curious if theres way to only take one package from a repository, and ignore the rest.

Hi,
this is this, what I say the whole thread. ONLY the packages, which you install from backports (plus dependencies) came from backports!

See here - only kernel and samba from backports:
Code:
root@fileserver:~# dpkg -l | grep -v ~bpo | wc -l
root@fileserver:~# dpkg -l | grep  ~bpo | wc -l
root@fileserver:~# dpkg -l | grep ~bpo
ii  initramfs-tools                           0.115~bpo70+1                 all          generic modular initramfs generator
ii  irqbalance                                1.0.6-2~bpo70+1               amd64        Daemon to balance interrupts for SMP systems
ii  libldb1:amd64                             1:1.1.17-1~bpo70+1            amd64        LDAP-like embedded database - shared library
ii  libntdb1:amd64                            1.0-2~bpo70+1                 amd64        New Trivial Database - shared library
ii  libtdb1:amd64                             1.3.0-1.1~bpo70+1             amd64        Trivial Database - shared library
ii  libwbclient0:amd64                        2:4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1       amd64        Samba winbind client library
ii  linux-image-3.14-0.bpo.2-amd64            3.14.13-2~bpo70+1             amd64        Linux 3.14 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64          3.16.7-ckt4-3~bpo70+1         amd64        Linux 3.16 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-amd64                         3.16+63~bpo70+1               amd64        Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)
ii  python-ldb                                1:1.1.17-1~bpo70+1            amd64        Python bindings for LDB
ii  python-ntdb                               1.0-2~bpo70+1                 amd64        Python bindings for NTDB
ii  python-samba                              2:4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1       amd64        Python bindings for Samba
ii  python-talloc                             2.1.1-1~bpo70+1               amd64        hierarchical pool based memory allocator - Python bindings
ii  python-tdb                                1.3.0-1.1~bpo70+1             amd64        Python bindings for TDB
ii  samba                                     2:4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1       amd64        SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
ii  samba-common                              2:4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1       all          common files used by both the Samba server and client
ii  samba-common-bin                          2:4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1       amd64        Samba common files used by both the server and the client
ii  samba-dsdb-modules                        2:4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1       amd64        Samba Directory Services Database
ii  samba-libs:amd64                          2:4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1       amd64        Samba core libraries
ii  samba-vfs-modules                         2:4.1.17+dfsg-1~bpo70+1       amd64        Samba Virtual FileSystem plugins
rc  winbind                                   2:4.1.11+dfsg-1~bpo70+1       amd64        service to resolve user and group information from Windows NT servers
Udo

Last edited:

There is a better way....
example:

File: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zabbix
Contents:
deb http://repo.zabbix.com/zabbix/2.4/debian wheezy main
deb-src http://repo.zabbix.com/zabbix/2.4/debian wheezy main

File: /etc/apt/preferences.d/zabbix.pref
Contents:
Package: za*
Pin: origin "repo.zabbix.com"
Pin-Priority: 140

Package: *
Pin: origin "repo.zabbix.com"
Pin-Priority: -10

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!