ProxMox v3.4 not bootable after successful install.

impire

Jun 10, 2010
Hello,

I am having problem getting ProxMox v3.4 to boot. Server have 6 x 2TB SATA drives. Configured via hardware controller as one logical volume as RAID 5 (10 Terabytes total):

- Went through the CD installation process without any problem (Proxmox see 9.3TB).

- When tried to boot, keep saying no boot device found.

- I reinstalled and at the ProxMox partition prompt, I clicked on "OPTION" and changed "ext3" to "1000.0 MB" (1TB).

- Same problem. Cannot boot and still have "no boot device found".

- Installation on other servers with 136GB boot drive were successful with no problem.

Is this a limitation on partition size problem of some sort or is it an issue with ProxMox 3.4? Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Andrew

If i am right you have "one" Disk with 9.3TB for Proxmox?
I guess this could be a gpt thing.

For big Disks (> 2TB) parted is used to create partitions.

What do you want to do with the disk?
Best thing ist to have two Raid Sets or Disks. One, small one, for the Proxmox Installation and one for the Diskimages of the VMs, ISOs and so on.

Hello proxtux,

Thank you for your reply. I am using this system as a stand-alone back up. I have another set of 6 servers running Proxmox and Ceph (60TB). Those other servers have no problem. But then again, they have only 136GB boot disk.

You are correct, I have "one" disk with 9.3TB for proxmox. This was created via RAID5 of 6 x 2TB HD.

I have gone back and deleted the disk. Keep the RAID5 the same at 6 x 2TB HD = 9.3TB. Then I created two virtual disks (via hardware RAID controller). The first one at 500MB. The second disk at 8.7TB.

I reinstalled proxmox. Same problem. It will not boot.

Now I just wiped out the entire RAID 5 and recreated using only 1 x 2TB with RAID 0. Installing ProxMox now. Will see if this will go through.

Maybe it's a race , initramfs try to boot before loading drivers of disks.

can you try to pass rootdelay=30 to grub kernel arguments ?

Hello spirit,

Thank you for your input. Sorry to ask but I am a newbie and don't know what those instruction mean.

For the final attempt, I created a RAID 0 on 1 x 2TB disk. I ignored the rest of the disks.

Went through installation process smooth. But when boot came up with same error "No boot device available".

This is a Seagate 2TB SATA drive. I don't know why I keep getting this error. Could it be a incompatibility or driver issue? This drive was previously used in a CEPH config. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. At this point I am stuck and just about to give up. Pretty much tried everything.

I have been using ProxMox for years. Never seen this issue before. The real kicker is it went through the entire install smoothly. Then no boot! Strange.

Hi mir,

Thanks for your input.

At the initial step of installing ProxMox, default option is ext3. It also have option for these:

ext4
zfs (RAID0)
zfs (RAID1)
zfs (RAID10)
zfs (RAIDZ-1)
zfs (RAIDZ-2)
zfs (RAIDZ-3)

So far, I have tried both ext4 and zfs (RAID0). No luck. Same problem. It keep saying no boot device found.

One highlight. During the very first step of installation (before it goes to the GUI screen), ProxMox display an error message:

"loading drivers:shpchp i7300_idle ata_piix pata-acpi ata_generic megaraid_sas serio_raw dcdbas"

"Error: Could notinsert 'i7300_idel': No such device"

Do you think this have anything to do with the boot failure?

It seems that I am not the only one that have this problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!