zfs as root file system booting extremely slow

peterx

Renowned Member
May 5, 2008
For a test with zfs as root file system I installed proxmox 3.4 on two different servers, with two hdd's in zfs raid-0. Once booted both machines are very fast for their age.
But booting takes 45 minutes to more than an hour.
As I have two Proxmox 3.3 servers now, that I will replace with new hardware with zfs as root file system, I would like to know whether the slow boot is normal, or better, what I have to do to make them boot quickly as is normal with Proxmox. I used the latest 3.4 iso for the install.

45 minutes? there is something really wrong. post all details about your hardware.

Hello Tom,

THe hardware is: mboard: Asus M2N-VM-DVI, with processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+, memory 8GB, two hdds sata: 1TB and 1,5 TB in zfs raid0. This is my third try: this time booting takes 30 minutes.
after post the screen turns completely black for a long time, then the grub menu appears, then afer again a long time booting goes on.
Once booted the machine seems to behave normal.
In general is my conclusion after three installs on three different machines that the older the hardware the longer the booting takes. Thanks to the zfs raid0 this same machine is much faster than before under 3.3 with one 1TB hdd.

Pveperf:
CPU BOGOMIPS: 10800.32
REGEX/SECOND: 560853
HD SIZE: 2276.31 GB (rpool/ROOT/pve-1)
FSYNCS/SECOND: 73.18
DNS EXT: 272.84 ms
DNS INT: 1.64 ms (midro.lan)

Hi,
Searching on google I found that the problem could be the mbr. The bios not immediatly recognizing the boot data in the MBR written on the disk for zfs.
Since I plan to invest in two new Proxmox servers without having to pay for expensive raid cards. it is very important for me to know whether the rootfile zfs is working.
Peter

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!