Grub and Install Device Selection

drott

Apr 18, 2012
USA
Hello,

I see with the latest dist-upgrade there is a new Grub. Which is ok but this time it was a bit different so I followed the prompts to do a No. I then asked for Grub Install Devices. I have three options 1) /dev/sda (599932)MB; Logical Volume; 2) - /dev/sda (535 MB: /dev/sda1) and 3) /dev/dm-o (103079 MB; pve-root)

I checked on my other server that has not been upgraded yet and check in /boot/grub/grub.cfg to get a hint as they they are the same servers and running Proxmox 3.3.

I am inclined to check /dev/sda Logical Volume) but really don't want to botch a production server.

Normally grub picks up on an upgrade where it was originally loaded?

Here is original Config

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
udev 10240 0 10240 0% /dev
tmpfs 3293060 380 3292680 1% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root 99083868 3400168 90650536 4% /
tmpfs 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 6586100 3108 6582992 1% /run/shm
/dev/mapper/pve-data 445086800 150723612 294363188 34% /var/lib/vz
/dev/sda1 506724 293853 186708 62% /boot

From grub.cfg
set root='(pve-root)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 8467c8c7-7445-4b58-9414-903fd80b5465

menuentry 'Proxmox Virtual Environment GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32-34-pve (recovery mode)' --class proxmox --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
load_video
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 8fa8c452-037c-4bf7-bf80-ce28459b385e
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.32-34-pve ...'
linux /vmlinuz-2.6.32-34-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro single
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'

Thanks for help on this question.

Last edited:
Looks like I may have also run into this issue with grub. :(

I just finished installing v3.3 on a clean PowerEdge 415 with 2 drives in raid1 config.

All went well so I setup the "pve-no-subscription repository" and did a apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.

At some point during the upgrade it stopped and asked if I wanted to skip the upgrade of grub. It warned that there might be issues if I skipped the upgrade so I choose "no" to not skip. It then showed me a list of 3 partitions and asked which one to place the grub onto, I chose the one that I thought was correct but when I rebooted, grub had the error: file not found and gave the prompt grub rescue>.

One note: there are a couple of other servers that I was also going through the same process with and since I ran into this issue on the first one, I decided to run "update-grub" and "grub-install /dev/sda" before rebooting. These servers seem to boot ok.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the server with the grub rescue mode issue?

Thanks,

-Glen

Hi. Thanks for the quick response.

This is the first time I have run in to this and have been using proxmox since the 1.9 days. This server started off as a 2.2 and has been a 3.3 for quite some time. I have not seen Debian behave this way.

The good is I am still have the screen up to answer the prompt, the bad its a production non clustered server and the ugly upgrade was done via SSH and not running screen. So I am at the mercy of the power gods and losing the ssh session. :) and walking down the hall way to the server.

I guess my first hunch would have been wrong.

I went to /dev/disk/by--uuid and found my SDA1 points to the referenced uuid in grub.cfg. That begs the question is if we use the the /dev/sda? will that have an impact down the road since many systems favor uuid. I know that the the uuid is a link to the /dev/sda1

Interesting problem. I have done some googleing and found some references to various products referenced in some UBUNTU formus that seem to inducate there was a product out there that could help. I wan to get this researched if I really crater hard.

Thanks a million.

Hi.

Below is what grub.cfg has for its orginal configuration and the one post update.

I see some large differences between the orginal and what it changed to in terms of the root partition. The concern is the change in set root= which pre update pointed to pve-root and post grub update points to the LVM

I have yet to reboot dueto an abundance of caution.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Original:

insmod lvm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(pve-root)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root a827cb31-6dfd-4676-b3e1-edebf2666230
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=640x480
load_video
insmod gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 8a5a84ac-676a-46c0-988f-bbbededc21e5
set locale_dir=($root)/grub/locale
set lang=en_US
insmod gettext
fi

Updated grub.cfg elements.

I selected /dev/sda1 as the partition. It did find the older Kernels etc but it set root to the LVM partition vs the original which was pve-root. I see the if statement which does show the the uuid of /dev/sda1.

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos
insmod lvm
insmod ext2
set root='lvmid/JbHhsf-5KdJ-1fYg-Ipbo-gAY1-9Jcq-KAqchK/GOGmsg-rqyA-9V10-vxbz-HMEB-KNIh-u87MxW'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint='lvmid/JbHhsf-5KdJ-1fYg-Ipbo-gAY1-9Jcq-KAqchK/GOGmsg-rqyA-9V10-vxbz-HMEB-KNIh-u87MxW'
8467c8c7-7445-4b58-9414-903fd80b5465
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 8467c8c7-7445-4b58-9414-903fd80b5465
fi
font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for the help.

I did a grub-install /dev/sda as the boot device it boots except, I lost the ability to select the older kernels. I see Proxmox listed as the boot optionin the list.

Should I do a grub-install /dev/sda1 so in the event I need to go back to a prior kernel. Will this affect future kernel upgrades etc.

Thanks in advance.

Wk

You can still select older kernels, but that is now inside a submenu.

THanks

I will look, but I did not seem to catch that. Was it part of the boot of Proxmox and selecting that option?

Have a great and safe eveneing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!