Atheros GBE lan doesnt show

FuriousRage

Oct 17, 2014
Hi.

I have this mainboard: GA-H97N-WIFI
It have 2 NICs, one is intel chipset and the other is Atheros gbe chipset..
But i dont seem to get the atheros showing in proxmox.
I can only see eth0 and vmbr0 in the network.

Ideas how to get it to show?

Doesnt work.

getting errors all over
from /root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/backport-include/linux/mmc/sdio_func.h:4, from /root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/compat/compat-2.6.34.h:8,
from /root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/compat/main.c:5:
/root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/backport-include/linux/device.h:118:20: error: redefinition of ‘device_lock’
In file included from /root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/backport-include/linux/device.h:4:0,
from include/linux/mmc/sdio_func.h:15,
from /root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/backport-include/linux/mmc/sdio_func.h:4,
from /root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/compat/compat-2.6.34.h:8,
include/linux/device.h:492:20: note: previous definition of ‘device_lock’ was here
In file included from include/linux/mmc/sdio_func.h:15:0,
/root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/backport-include/linux/device.h:127:19: error: redefinition of ‘device_trylock’
In file included from /root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/backport-include/linux/device.h:4:0,
include/linux/device.h:497:19: note: previous definition of ‘device_trylock’ was here
In file included from include/linux/mmc/sdio_func.h:15:0,
/root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/backport-include/linux/device.h:136:20: error: redefinition of ‘device_unlock’
include/linux/device.h:502:20: note: previous definition of ‘device_unlock’ was here
make[6]: *** [/root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/compat/main.o] Error 1
make[5]: *** [/root/backports-3.11-rc3-1/compat] Error 2
make[4]: *** [_module_/root/backports-3.11-rc3-1] Error 2
make[3]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make: *** [default] Error 2

lshw -C network:
*-network UNCLAIMED description: Ethernet controller
product: AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: 10
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:f7d00000-f7d3ffff ioport:e000(size=128)

Last edited:
Doesnt work.

getting errors all over

lshw -C network:

Just follow the steps I wrote down..

- make menuconfig (requires ncurses: apt-get install libncurses5-dev)
- deselected everything except alx
you will have to modify the sources as they arn't customized for the RHEL patch level... I guess you will have to comment out the lines I wrote them, but it may be also another customization needed...

Just follow the steps I wrote down..

- make menuconfig (requires ncurses: apt-get install libncurses5-dev)
- deselected everything except alx
you will have to modify the sources as they arn't customized for the RHEL patch level... I guess you will have to comment out the lines I wrote them, but it may be also another customization needed...

I cannot find any "alx" entry here: fCtJg62.png

The Qualcomm Atheros AR816x/AR817x ist the right one. The resulting module is called alx

You have either forgotten to deselect someting elsewhere, or you didn't pached your backports as I wrote. Never mind, I just compiled the driver against 2.6.32-33-pve (I guess this is your current runing kernel) so you may just extract them and generate new module dependecy and reboot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8NTfGHixUhDLWZ5aVJwRGU5TFk/view?usp=sharing

After download extract the file:
Code:
cd /
tar xfvz /path_to_archive/alx.3.13.2-1.tar.gz
depmod -a

Last edited:
I corrected the download URL.
But remember, with new kernel-update you will need new driver matching your kernel build.

I corrected the download URL.
But remember, with new kernel-update you will need new driver matching your kernel build.

Ill have to check back next week efter vacation.. too bad there is no NIC that fits a pci-express x16 slot :(

Any PCIe x1 x4 x8 or x16 will fit into PCIex16 slot, it will be only using the begining (first lanes) of it
I wish it was true..

I have a x1 intel networkcard (that works with vmware ESXi) but the smallest part of it (closes to chassie) is a bit too big and wont fit in the x16 slot and the metal-thing that fits to the chassie are a bit too close to the mainboard so it wouldnt fit either day :(

Inthat case, seems you don't have PCIe x1 card or it has been created for special embedded system, if you look on any mainboard you will see that all PCIe Slots have the same dimensions and same gap to the chassis..

like here from your manufacturer: http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/5103/10724_big.png

I actually have this card, http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/business-solutions/switching/network-and-switch-accessories/nic-cards-and-media-converters/dge-528t-dge-528t-copper-gigabit-pci-card-for-pc
and it wont physically fit on my mainboard.. :/

I cant find a compatbility list.. so would this one work? [h=1]Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter (EXPI9301CT)[/h]

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!