ZFS vs. directory storage for containers

Indrek

Jul 20, 2023
Hi,

I'm running a small PVE cluster of two nodes. Both have an encrypted ZFS dataset set up for container storage, using native ZFS encryption. This prevents migrating the containers from one node to another (https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2350).

However, if I create a directory storage from an encrypted ZFS dataset, then containers can be migrated just fine, because as far as Proxmox is concerned, their disks are just RAW files in a directory.

My question is: would this be an acceptable workaround to migrating containers between hosts with encrypted ZFS storage? Other than snapshots (which I don't use anyway, since about half of my containers have bind mount points), is any other important functionality lost, compared to ZFS storage?

Also, I understand it's possible for a container's disk to be a subdirectory instead of a RAW file, by setting 'size=0'. Other than the size not being limited, and being able to easily see the contents from the host, what advantages or disadvantages does this have compared to a RAW file?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!