YAPPP - YA PCI Passthrough Problem

SapperWing

Apr 30, 2024
I'm trying to build a bit of a home lab for learning Linux \ Programming using a 2015 SuperMicro MHL-H8DLC motherboard with two Opteron 4334 and a PCI video card. The passthrough seems to be working a bit. "A bit" meaning it the guest VM (Linux distros) can see the PCI device via 'lspci' via the command line (AMD Radeon 540/540X/550/550X). Also, upon boot up (using both Fedora and Ubuntu), the loading "splash screens" and\or non-gui screens show up on the server\host monitor that I have plugged into the passed through adapter.

However, once the splash screen is done, and the GUI desktop loads, the server\host monitor loses the signal and goes into standby. I have tried to go with the "No Monitor" option in Proxmox, but the VM won't boot at all - and memory spikes to 80% and just sits there....

Again, I feel like I'm close - I _think_ all that I'm missing is ensuring the desktop environments are properly configured to recognize the passed through GPU.

Any thoughts?

Thanks -
SapperWing.

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/SR56x0/MNL-H8DCL-(i)(6)(F).pdf

Attachments

• ServerMonitor.jpg
    ServerMonitor.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!