WireGuard LXC Container Performance Questions.

Treebeardz

Mar 1, 2024
Has anyone setup WireGuard in an LXC Container? I have it fully setup and working using the "ubuntu-20.04-standard_20.04-1_amd64.tar.gz" template. The speed is not meeting my expectations bandwidth wise. I have sequential 2.5Gbps fiber however currently Proxmox is on a 1Gbps LAN port for now. I'm using my mobile phone as a test case here and over 5G.

What I speed test over USB type C tethering to my desktop.
1stSpeed.png

Connected to the Windows Desktop WireGuard client
1stSpeedVPN.png

I wanted to test another internet source so I remoted into my brothers house and setup the Windows Desktop WireGuard client.
Speed he gets from his ISP
2ndSpeed.png

Speed Connected to the WireGuard client.
2ndSpeedVPN.png

Looks to be the same bandwidth cap using both internet sources.

I have a few questions, would WireGuard perform better running in a full VM vs an LXC Container. Is there any Proxmox settings or features that can improve network performance? Where else might I need to troubleshoot this performance issue? From what I've seen WireGuard is supposed to be capable of much faster performance.

For reference my full ISP speed my proxmox box is behind.

Full Speed.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
  • asd1.png
    asd1.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2ndSpeedVPN.png
    2ndSpeedVPN.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!