Windows won't install (CDROM code 0001)

Steijn van Essen

Jun 20, 2011
Amsterdam
Hello community,

Here's my third post on this forum. Last year I spent very little time on building my two ProxMox servers for sad reasons, but I made some progress, still. I gained some more experience on Linux (including making NSF shares with my Netgear NAS, VLAN trunking on my NICs - got myself a couple of lovely Netgear 108T switches and a Netgear router (which I flashed with OpewnWRT right out of the box) for this - and cleaning up the routing mess that followed from this).

I also was able to get some Debian VMs up and running. For that I stored ISO files on the ProxMox server's local disk. Booting my VMs from the Debian virtual installation CDs went fine (both 32 and 64 bit).
However, when I tried to do the same for some Windows install ISOs, it didn't work. No matter what version of Windows I tried: W2K, WXP, W7 ... they all gave me the following error on my VM console:

Code:
SeaBIOS (version 0.6.1.2-...)

gPXE (http://etherboot.org) ...

Press F12 for boot menu.

Booting from DVD/CD...
Boot failed: could not read from CDROM (code 0001)

Booting from Floppy...
Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

Booting from Hard Disk...
Boot failed: not a bootable disk

No bootable device.
-

On the internet I found a number of hits on the "CDROM code 0001" message, some of which are Qemu-KVM related, others Sun Solaris related. I cannot, however, figure out what solutions are proposed (if any) or what exactly code 0001 stands for.
I also found one related article at this site (http://forum.proxmox.com/archive/index.php/t-5523.html) pointing at binary checksums, but also no clue here (assuming that I treated my Windows ISOs with the same care as my Debian ISOs).

Some more background facts:
- I run ProxMox VE 1.8 (Debian Lenny based);
- I create CDs from ISOs and vice versa with IsoRecorder (Source: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com), a tiny Windows app that I love;
- the W2K and WXP images are less than 650 MB, the W7 image about 4 GB;
- I have succesfully installed each Windows version from CD or DVD on real hardware in the past;
- I don't have a real CD drive built in my ProxMox servers, but if necessary I could install one.

Some more background thoughts:
- I've learned that for Windows drivers exist that support reading from virtual CD drives. But I guess the error comes from the VMs SeaBIOS, not from the Windows installer failing to find its own installation media because of lack of such drivers;
- Do Windows install images need special preps (fingerprint, checksum) when used in an VM environment? My guess is no. I know people that flawlessly install off the shelve Windows ISOs in their VMs.

Does anyone on this forum have any clue what might go wrong while booting my VMs from my ISOs?

Thanx in advance for your time and thoughts,

Steijn van Essen
From i8088 to i7-980X in 25 years and still waiting ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!