Windows Server 2016 server running slow

Vitinhos

Jun 16, 2023
Good morning!
Here at the company we have a Dell T610 server, virtualized with a Promox 7.3 with a pfSense firewall, Windows Server 2016 and two Windows 10 VMs.
Windows Server is very slow, especially in the database, which is SQL Anywhere. There's plenty of CPU and RAM, there's no bottleneck. When running a disk benchmark, I found that the disk is running at a much lower speed, as it is an SSD, the speed should be much higher. What could I be doing to improve the performance of my server?
There are two 1TB SSD disks in RAID 1 and the disks are stored in local-lvm

Attached are prints

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 12
Speed depends on a lot of factors. A simple RAID1 SSD setup is enough for PVE itself but if the local-lvm is also used for multiple VMs you‘ll face concurrent drive access from the host itself and the VMs. It‘s usually better to use two smaller SSDs for PVE and add additional drives for a dedicated VM storage.
What kind of SSDs are you using? Consumer hardware or enterprise disks with plp? Benchmarking with tools like CDM or ASSD inside the VM is relatively useless when your RAID is based on ZFS.

local-lvm = no zfs
What is your hw controller ?
is there a cache with battery power protected ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!