Windows 10 VM High Memory Usage Issue After PVE Restart/Reboot (with Balloon)

cyvb

Feb 17, 2024
Hi, I'm new to PVE and recently I have set up my first Windows 10 vm. But I have an issue with memory usage on the guest vm.

I'm using PVE 8.1.4 on Debian 12 with VirtIO 0.1.240. The situation is usually after a PVE fresh start or reboot, the windows guest's memory usage become very high, like 70%-80%.
And the memory usage decreases gradually, and it finally stops at a about 7-10 GiB, which is a normal usage for a fresh start Windows OS.
If I restart just the Windows vm after the memory usage become normal, it seems there would not be this abnormal usage until I restart my PVE.
I have tried installing drivers both via Guest Tools Installer and manually through Device Manager. But the situation keeps coming up.
I have 64 GiB memory on my physical machine and I set up the guest's memory to a minimum of 8 GiB and maximum of 32 GiB with Balloon.

Is this a normal situation or can I fix this?

Try to disable ballooning for the VM (set memory to 32gb). 7-10GB RAM usage (without cache usage) is not normal for W10 after startup.

Reactions: Bob.Dig
windows guest's memory usage become very high, like 70%-80%.

This should be normal behavior: not used Ram is wasted Ram! Every modern OS uses it for (invisible) caching.

Ballooning does only reclaim Ram from a guest when a there is an actual need for it, iirc when the host uses more than 80 % Ram already.

Oh, and welcome to the club :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!