Why does my VM 103 not start?

Ronin Karabinas

Jun 16, 2023
It gives the error kvm: -drive file=/mnt/pve/ProxMox/images/103/vm-103-disk-0.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,format=qcow2,cache=none,aio=io_uring,detect-zeroes=on: Could not read qcow2 header: Structure needs cleaning TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

PLEASE HELP valuable data on vm

Looks like the virtual disk got corrupted. You appear to be the first on this forum with this problem but if you search the internet for Could not read qcow2 header: Structure needs cleaning, there might be some suggestions to repair (part of) the filesystem inside. Make sure to make a copy of the virtual disk (qcow2 file) before attempting to repair it, as trying to repair it may damage it further. Check your physical disk also (after making a copy) for problems.
It would probably much easier to restore the VM from backup, which I assume you have because the VM has valuable data...

Reactions: fiona
I looked it up and couldn't find anything. I do have a backup from the day before BUT we changed one of the main files the day it was corrupted

Last edited:
I looked it up and couldn't find anything. I do have a backup from the day before BUT we changed one of the main files the day it was corrupted
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=Could+not+read+qcow2+header:+Structure+needs+cleaning&ia=web
With Proxmox Backup Server you can easily make backups every hour and quite fast and without duplicate data.
How do I copy it?
https://www.howtogeek.com/778790/how-to-copy-files-and-directories-in-linux-terminal/
If you need to look this up, then maybe ask someone else to do it for you. Or just restore the backup and redo the work of today.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!