what VMware file types of the ones listed can I import to proxmox?

stingray7-5

Mar 13, 2024
Dear all,

sorry, I am kinda new to proxmox and I have signed up for a IT class, that provided me a VMware as a zip file which contained multiple VMware file types:
*.NVRAM
*.VMDK
*.VMSD
*.VMX
*.VMXF
autoinst.iso
autoinst.flp
mksSandbox
*.scoreboard

As far as I have been able to find using the proxmox documentation ant this forum, I can import only the vmdk file of those listed to a proxmox VM client.
But that will result in a fail to run the VM machine flawlessly.

well, I know about the *.iso ;)
Would anybody be able to give me some hints, how to import the other files?

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,
stingray7-5

Last edited:
This has been covered many times in the forum and on the net (838 video results).

In general Proxmox import process can handle VMDK or OVA, where OVA is a tar archive. Within OVA two files are interesting to import process: VMDK (data) and VMX (config).
If you import only VMDK - you have to create and adjust VM manually. If you import OVA some VM config will be created for you, but not all and you will still need to adjust VM config manually.

You did not say how exactly you tried to import (actual commands) or what the actual error was on boot.
The most common mistake is not to assign new disk to a controller and/or change the boot order.

Good luck
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/importing-a-virtual-machine-ova-into-proxmox.136235/

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Kingneutron
You did not say how exactly you tried to import (actual commands) or what the actual error was on boot.
I think (from wording) the OP hasn't yet tried at all. He's just looking for pointers on how to go about this.
I believe the OP (who joined less than 30 minutes ago) as of yet has no (or little) experience with Proxmox. (OP, correct me if I'm wrong - and accept my sincere apologies!).
My advice to him would be; first get acquainted with the Proxmox/PVE ecosystem, use it, test it, find its limits etc. UNDERSTAND IT.
Then try something like importing a VMware system - because that's a rather steep learning curve - for a beginner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!