VMware to Proxmox Migration HELP!

tripari

Apr 25, 2024
Hello,

I currently have a virtual machine that is running on VMware Workstation Pro. That virtual machine has very important licenses that are attached to the "physical" hardware of the virtual machine. I want to migrate that virtual machine to my Proxmox server, keeping all of the hardware ID's and serial numbers intact. I want to know if that's possible to achieve and how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

You don't have to "move" it. Make a clone, or simply copy the config and disk (depending on your storage). Then start it and see if it works.

There was a thread in the forum about hiding the virtualization layer (it was geared towards gaming). Some of the tips there may be useful to you.
One thing is certain, it will not be the exact same hardware profile, hopefully, it will be close enough.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

You don't have to "move" it. Make a clone, or simply copy the config and disk (depending on your storage). Then start it and see if it works.

There was a thread in the forum about hiding the virtualization layer (it was geared towards gaming). Some of the tips there may be useful to you.
One thing is certain, it will not be the exact same hardware profile, hopefully, it will be close enough.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Thank you! I will give it a try.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!