Vlans Networking for Whonix gateway VM

nomadmike

Oct 20, 2022
Thialand
I have installed the whonix gateway as a new VM in proxmox, I was following a YouTube guide but the creator does not seem very responsive.

I have Pfsense setup with a WAN 192.168.1 and LAN 10.0.0 which is running fine for my home lab setup, following the Video I have created two VLAN's one for the GW and one for the WS (I am not very familiar with VLAN's)

After restarting the GW First it would not load with an error about no physical network for vmbr1, I check proxmox and ticked vlan aware for the vmbr1 and this stoped the error and the machine booted.

However it would never connect to the tor network, just get stuck on 5%, after Googleing and tinkering I tried changing the static ip address of the GW from 10.0.2.15 to the same as my LAN 10.0.0.205 I then removed the VLAN tag from the network connection for the GW in proxmox and rebooted the GW - it worked the tor connection went through just fine.

As I mentioned previously I am not familiar with VLAN's - how would the vlan connect a different ip range 10.0.2.15 to my 10.0.0.1 do I need to create the vlan connections on proxmox or would that be handeled by pfSense?

Any suggestions appretiated

I have installed the whonix gateway as a new VM in proxmox, I was following a YouTube guide but the creator does not seem very responsive.

I have Pfsense setup with a WAN 192.168.1 and LAN 10.0.0 which is running fine for my home lab setup, following the Video I have created two VLAN's one for the GW and one for the WS (I am not very familiar with VLAN's)

After restarting the GW First it would not load with an error about no physical network for vmbr1, I check proxmox and ticked vlan aware for the vmbr1 and this stoped the error and the machine booted.

However it would never connect to the tor network, just get stuck on 5%, after Googleing and tinkering I tried changing the static ip address of the GW from 10.0.2.15 to the same as my LAN 10.0.0.205 I then removed the VLAN tag from the network connection for the GW in proxmox and rebooted the GW - it worked the tor connection went through just fine.

As I mentioned previously I am not familiar with VLAN's - how would the vlan connect a different ip range 10.0.2.15 to my 10.0.0.1 do I need to create the vlan connections on proxmox or would that be handeled by pfSense?

Any suggestions appretiated
Were you following techtoday ? I came accross a similar video, maybe the same and I'm trying to setup pfsense VLANs, I had the same issue as yours where the gateway would get stuck at 5%. Could you tell me your VLAN setup and firewall rules. It would be of great help.

Afaik, the connections should be handled by pfSense and if you have added the firewall rule to allow outgoing connections for VLAN subnets much like the default firewall configuration of LAN it should be able to contact your other subnets just fine. Make sure you set up the DNS settings and DHCP if need be. If you're in the process of creating a lab then I suggest you check out this series https://youtu.be/XIvn0ZDSmKA

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!