VLAN on management interface

Apr 17, 2024
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, so please bare with me.

I've searched the interwebz without finding an answer so thought I'd just test my luck here.

Im configuring a new Proxmox hypervisor and I'm wondering about the proper way to Dot1Q the traffic going to the management IP of the Hypervisor (I'd rather not have the management port of the switch as "Untagged")

I have two NIC's installed in the hypervisor: One will be a VLAN-aware bridge for use only by the VM's.

The second NIC is only intended for management-access, and I cant seem to find a way to apply any VLAN-tag in the GUI for the physical NIC (i.e. eno1) , making it a bridge just seems overkill, I'd rather just tag the physical NIC directly. The NIC will never be used for anything else.

I know I could do this in /etc/network/interfaces, but just want to make sure if this is the correct way to apply it and that it will surive reboots, upgrades, etcetera?

Thanks!

I know I could do this in /etc/network/interfaces, but just want to make sure if this is the correct way to apply it and that it will surive reboots, upgrades, etcetera?
Yes, editing it is fine as long as your edits are correct as long as PVE got no problems parsing it later.

The second NIC is only intended for management-access, and I cant seem to find a way to apply any VLAN-tag in the GUI for the physical NIC (i.e. eno1) , making it a bridge just seems overkill, I'd rather just tag the physical NIC directly. The NIC will never be used for anything else.
You could create a vlan interface and set your IP there. Like "eno1.100" if you want it to be part of vlan 100.

Reactions: PeterNDC

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!