Vlan management

Arthur777

Apr 2, 2024
Hello, I'm setting up a home lab. I have my Proxmox server connected to two switches: one for Ceph with the subnet 192.168.1.0/24 and another connected to a different switch with the network 10.0.90.0/23. I tried configuring this setup to create a management VLAN, but I can no longer access the address 10.0.90.208 when I do so. I've configured the port of my switch as a trunk and accepted VLAN 240. Any idea ?

IMG_20240326_114405.png
Thanks in advance.

Image quality is too bad to read your network config.
But looks like your gateway is outside of your management subnet.
Did you set up inter subnet/vlan routing? Without a router routing between your subnets you won't be able to access your PVE unless your client is using an IP in that 10.0.90.0/23 subnet too.

Last edited:
Hello, excuse me for the poor quality of my photo. Here is the configuration written out. As for the gateway, it is indeed located within the correct subnet, and my laptop has an address within this subnet.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Iface enp3s0 inet manual

auto enp1s0f0
iface enp1s0f0 inet manual

auto enp1s0f1
iface enp1s0f1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2/24
bond-slaves enp1s0f0 enp1s0f1
bond-node balance-alb

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge-ports enp2s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4054

auto vmbr0.240
iface vmbr0,240 inet static
address 10.0.90.208/23

gateway 10.0.91.245

Then the network config looks fine if that "iface vmbr0,240 inet static" is actally a ".", your "bridge-ports enp2s0" is actually "enp3s0", your switches port is tagged with VLANID 240 and you are not planning to have any guests using that bond.

Then the network config looks fine if that "iface vmbr0,240 inet static" is actally a ".", your "bridge-ports enp2s0" is actually "enp3s0"
I will double-check that properly to make sure.
your switches port is tagged with VLANID 240 and you are not planning to have any guests using that bond.
For the configuration at the switch level, I simply set the port connected to the Proxmox server as follows:
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 240

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!