[SOLVED] use smtp to send ALL notifications

X4V1

Feb 5, 2024
Hello,

I added an SMTP "Notification Target" from the notification screen it works fine (tested and mail received).
I disabled the "mail-to-root" target as I wanted to use the SMTP target for all notifications.
I also updated the notification matcher to use the SMTP target instead of the "mail-to-root".

But I'm a bit surprised that I still see logs that it's not possible to send mail using port 25 (it's blocked by my ISP):
Code:
Mar 01 18:34:52 pve postfix/smtp[1808563]: DB68E24135E: to=<*************@gmail.com>, relay=none, delay=90, delays=0.02/0/90/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[142.251.9.27]:25: Connection timed out)

How can I be sure that all notifications (system wise) will be using the SMTP target?
It seems that proxmox still tries to send notifications by using postfix mail server and it's not what I want.
Example: Backup notifications (notification mode: Default (Auto)) is failing to send mail using port 25 (WHY?)

How are we supposed to configure proxmox to stop sending emails other than using the SMTP target?
I would like to never send mail using port 25 as it's never going to work.

Last edited:
It's solved. If someone else pass by here for the same problem, if an email is set in the backup config, it will fallback to mail-to-root. I configured postfix to allow sending mail via a smtp relay, I'll see if I receive some other notifications from mail-to-root. But at least for backup notifications, it's now solved :)

Note: the always or on-failure option is not doing anything if using the notification system as it must be configured with notification matcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!