Use notebook resources in Windows VM

gpsc

Feb 12, 2024
Greetings,

I am in the process of configuring four virtual machines (VMs) running Windows 11 to be used in a small office environment. Each of these VMs will be accessed by one laptops, characterized by their modest specifications but equipped with integrated cameras, headphones, and Bluetooth functionality.

My query pertains to leveraging the resources of these laptops within the VMs managed through Proxmox. Specifically, I seek guidance on integrating and utilizing the camera, headphone, and Bluetooth capabilities of the laptops within the virtualized environment. Any insights or recommendations on achieving this integration effectively within the Proxmox framework would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Just to clarify - and I'm not sure I am qualified to actually help - but maybe it will help for other users input - you're actually trying to convert these (4?) Laptops to each access a (different) Windows VM hosted on a Proxmox Server (over LAN or otherwise), so in effect converting the Laptop into a thin client / VDI?

If so you'd better start with what OS / Remote software you intend to run on these Laptops. Only then can you consider, harnessing/accessing their local HW.

Just to clarify - and I'm not sure I am qualified to actually help - but maybe it will help for other users input - you're actually trying to convert these (4?) Laptops to each access a (different) Windows VM hosted on a Proxmox Server (over LAN or otherwise), so in effect converting the Laptop into a thin client / VDI?

If so you'd better start with what OS / Remote software you intend to run on these Laptops. Only then can you consider, harnessing/accessing their local HW.
Yes, I have some old machines and they will be using Linux (mint or similar) to access the VMs as a VDI. Any ideas/help?

Since the VM's are all WIndows, the obvious solution would be Remote Desktop. There are various versions of RDP clients for Linux you could try. Check the package manager of the Linux you are using.

Another good option is NoMachine.

you need to use spice as the display type and install the spice VDA agent in the VM spice not only does display but input and has channels for USB and sound.

install virt viewer we use version 10 on the laptop along with the virt viewer drivers which enable usb passthrough

make sure you add a least 1 USB port of type spice to the machine else you can't pass though devices when the session with virt viewer is open.

you might like to use https://github.com/joshpatten/PVE-VDIClient to help with the enduser side for dealing with spice

Last edited:
Reactions: UdoB
you need to use spice as the display type and install the spice VDA agent in the VM spice not only does display but input and has channels for USB and sound.

install virt viewer on the laptop along with the virt viewer drivers which enable usb passthrough

make sure you add a least 1 USB port of type space to the machine else you can't pass though devices when the session with virt viewer is open.

you might like to use https://github.com/joshpatten/PVE-VDIClient to help with the enduser side for dealing with spice
Thank you so much. Looks like there is a way out. I will read it carefully. I appreciate.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!