Update from eg. pve-manager 8.0.4 to 8.0.9, not 8.1.3 (ie. retain PVE 8.0, not 8.1 yet)

linux

Dec 14, 2020
Australia
Hi there,

Just checking the best way to "pin" a Proxmox VE version before running an upgrade, so as to update to the latest "dot" releases of the previous sub-major.

Now that v8.1 is released, we'd like to get everything up to latest v8.0 minor/patch - is this easily doable? I'd imagine so via pinning and package ver reqs, etc.

Looking forward to hearing back so we can work out how to tackle this case!

Thanks,
Linux

Now that v8.1 is released, we'd like to get everything up to latest v8.0 minor/patch - is this easily doable? I'd imagine so via pinning and package ver reqs, etc.
The software set of the latest updates to PVE 8.0 (no-subscription repository) is deemed slightly less stable/tested than PVE 8.1 (ISO and enterprise repository). Why do you want to go against the way Proxmox set this up?
If you don't want to pay for the enterprise repository and/or you want to stay one step behind on purpose, you could decide not to update your Proxmox from the internet but instead update it from packages on the previous major/minor installer ISO.

you could decide not to update your Proxmox from the internet but instead update it from packages on the previous major/minor installer ISO.
Thank you, however for 8.0 the latest installer is dated months before our latest update in late October. We haven't missed much.

The update was done then intentionally to make sure we were ahead of 8.1 but equally up and away from 7.4. Timed up well.

Hi,
for completeness: Proxmox VE 8.0 isn't it's own branch and won't get any (security) updates after the release of 8.1! Proxmox VE 8.x and Proxmox VE 7.x are branches getting updates, i.e. always the latest minor release will get updates.

Reactions: linux

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!