[Solved] Sync creates unwanted/unpopulated sub-Namespaces

Glowsome

Renowned Member
Jul 25, 2017
The Netherlands
www.comsolve.nl
Hello all,

On my PBS i have a Sync-job running that does it's job, however it also creates an underlying namespace which i cannot seem to get rid of.

So the scenario as i set it up originally might have caused this, but now (from my point of view) i can no longer get rid of this.

for your insights:

- i have 2 namespaces
-- Cluster ( this is a configured direct PBS backup from (local-)nodes) - these backups run perfectly without issues.
-- prox01 -> this is a sync from a remote node who also has a pbs(-local), and pulls those via sync to local Namespace Prox01

When the sync runs:
- it will drop the backups on PBS in its assigned namespace ( so far its by design and wanted)
- it will also create a prox01/prox01 space, but no backups/empty is created under it.
- it will also create a prox01/Cluster space ,but no backups/empty is created under it.

Whenever i remove these unwanted (sub-)namespaces, after the job has run the 'magically' re-appear.
to give insight as to how the sync-job is configured:
1711589573078.png

i am completely oblivious as to why those empty sub-namespaces are being formed every time, even tho the correct sync is performed into the correct namespace.

I have even attempted removing the complete 'prox01' namespace, then running the sync again, and it recreates it - including the mentioned sub-namespaces.

Any help is greatly appreciated

- Gloswome

Last edited:
Hello all,

On my PBS i have a Sync-job running that does it's job, however it also creates an underlying namespace which i cannot seem to get rid of.

So the scenario as i set it up originally might have caused this, but now (from my point of view) i can no longer get rid of this.

for your insights:

- i have 2 namespaces
-- Cluster ( this is a configured direct PBS backup from (local-)nodes) - these backups run perfectly without issues.
-- prox01 -> this is a sync from a remote node who also has a pbs(-local), and pulls those via sync to local Namespace Prox01

When the sync runs:
- it will drop the backups on PBS in its assigned namespace ( so far its by design and wanted)
- it will also create a prox01/prox01 space, but no backups/empty is created under it.
- it will also create a prox01/Cluster space ,but no backups/empty is created under it.

Whenever i remove these unwanted (sub-)namespaces, after the job has run the 'magically' re-appear.
to give insight as to how the sync-job is configured:
View attachment 65450

i am completely oblivious as to why those empty sub-namespaces are being formed every time, even tho the correct sync is performed into the correct namespace.

I have even attempted removing the complete 'prox01' namespace, then running the sync again, and it recreates it - including the mentioned sub-namespaces.

Any help is greatly appreciated

- Gloswome
Hi,
well according to your sync job your source namespace is the root namespace, and you have no depth limit. So all the contents of the root namespace of the remote will be placed in the prox01 namespace on your target, including all sub namespaces.

Please try to set the source namespace option for the sync job. If that is not the issue, please share the exact namespace layout of the source.

Hi,
well according to your sync job your source namespace is the root namespace, and you have no depth limit. So all the contents of the root namespace of the remote will be placed in the prox01 namespace on your target, including all sub namespaces.

Please try to set the source namespace option for the sync job. If that is not the issue, please share the exact namespace layout of the source.
Hi thankyou for your analysis.
With your indication i have run down the complete setup again and found some discrepancies in my setup.
Those are now (should be) corrected.
Jobs will be running tonight/overnight) so if all goes well it should be corrected.

- Glowsome

Hi thankyou for your analysis.
With your indication i have run down the complete setup again and found some discrepancies in my setup.
Those are now (should be) corrected.
Jobs will be running tonight/overnight) so if all goes well it should be corrected.

- Glowsome
Glad you could figure it out. If the job runs with success, please share the new sync job config for others to find a solution more quickly and mark the thread as solved. Thanks

In essence the issue was that when mounting the datastore it was set up on the root-level, and not on the wanted NameSpace.
Corrected this, and adapted the sync-job to reflect new source namespace.

- Glowsome

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!