Unusual behaviour

Dec 27, 2020
Hi have clients running Outlook and there seems to be a strange behaviour occurring and I dont know whether this is related to PMG as it appears to only happen after an email is sent.

From what I can replicate (same domain for both sender and receiver):

Action #1
Send email from user@domain.com to recipient@domain.com
-> Sent and received Correctly

Action #2
Recipient then "replies" to this same email
-> Sent and received Correctly

Action #3
OG Sender replies to email in Action #2
Checked the recipient email is correct as it is a reply all
Once sent - somehow the recipient email transforms:
from recipient@domain.com;
to "recipient full name"@pmgHostName.hostdomain.com
Email then bounces at PMG

It is a really strange issue which I have checked in the Outlook side and even deleted all nickname references to "user name"@pmgHostName.hostdomain.com. This appears to impact senders and recipients emailing each other within the same domain.

BTW, Action #3 could be any email after the 3rd - for example the 6th or nth reply after the 3rd. Additionally, it appears to impact only 3 users out of the 80 within that domain.

Any ideas would always be appreciated.

EDIT: It appears to impact even those from external domains too sending to the affected @domain.com. It also appears that senders could send into recipient with a CC and in once instance it could affect user1, but in another user2 when both of them are in the CC.

eg. TO: FIRST USER <user1@domain.com>; "Second User"@pmgHostName.hostdomain.com

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!