unattended installation (debian d-i preseed.cfg)

bryanpedini

Dec 20, 2020
Italy
bryanpedini.dev
hello,

as per the title, does proxmox support any equivalent to debian preseed.cfg? I'm most interested in the disk layout and custom options (the things the proxmox installer asks that the debian installer usually does not, administrator's email for example).

thanks in advance.

as per the title, does proxmox support any equivalent to debian preseed.cfg? I'm most interested in the disk layout and custom options (the things the proxmox installer asks that the debian installer usually does not, administrator's email for example).
PVE itself, no. You can however just install Debian via preseed and do the upgrade to PVE with a post-install hook.

this is what I've been doing all along with a Debian unattended installation + Ansible playbooks...
thought there was an easier method with PVE directly as I'm more and more transitioning towards two disks with ZFS.
Yeah, the ZFS part is exactly what is not working in Debian out of the box and probably the reason behind asking, isn't it?

Yeah, the ZFS part is exactly what is not working in Debian out of the box and probably the reason behind asking, isn't it?
exactly correct - I thought to ask here just in case the PVE team did something to the installer to make it compatible with ZFS unattended installation.
so I either install debian unattended without ZFS, or I install debian manually with ZFS and install PVE on top (useless method), or I install PVE manually with ZFS...

seems like the third option is the only one sensible at this point.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!