[SOLVED] Ubuntu 20.04 vm boots into black screen on Proxmox VE 8.1

R3dPanda

Apr 8, 2024
Hello dear proxmox community,

i'm currently trying to set up a ubuntu 20.04 (mini iso) vm.
So far i was able to create a new vm, install ubuntu 20.04 and boot into the os (default display settings). For further configuration i'm downloading and executing a script that installs various additional packages and configures auto-login after boot. As soon as i reboot the vm after the script ran trough successfully i do however get booted to a black screen from which i can't seem to recover.

So far i have tried the following to fix this issue:
1. Checking if the vm boots successfully
The vm still seems to boot fine and gets an ipaddress assigned that i can ping and ssh into it.

2. Changing display settings
Trough playing around with the display settings i found out that i can successfully boot to the desktop of the vm if i change them to 'vmware compatible'. This however seems to be the only option that is currently working. Neither the 'default' setting (despite working pre-script) nor 'Spice' seems to work as they both directly boot me to the black screen.

3. Setting fixed display memory

While researching a bit i found a couple of threads that hinted to a problem with configuring auto-login and automatic window resizing on a ubuntu vm. The fix suggested (setting a fixed number of memory for display -> 24MiB) did however not resolve the problem.

4. Checking missing packages
I checked and installed the packages 'qemu-guest-agent' and 'spice-vdagent'. This however did also not resolve the issue.

As i am still pretty enw to proxmox ve i would relly appeciate any help/input that helps to resolve my issue or hints me in the right direction.

Kind regards
R3dPanda

Through more research i have found the culprit.

For future people visiting this thread: There is a know bug in ubuntu 19.X - 20.X with the splash screen breaking the auto-login
https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.ph...n-enabled-in-ubuntu-19-10-with-nvidia-driver/

You can simply fix this by editing the file /etc/default/grub inside the vm:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
Simply remove the 'splash' keyword and save the file.

Afterwards regenerate grub with the following command and reboot the machine:
Code:
update-grub

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!