[SOLVED] TrueNAS Scale NFS Datastore very slow

EpicLPer

Sep 7, 2022
Austria
epiclper.com
Heya,

I'm currently using a setup where I've mounted a NFS store to /mnt and using that as a Datastore inside PBS. However I noticed the chunk generation was really slow... it took almost 30 minutes just to finish. I've also set up the same on my Synology and it was done in around 1-2 minutes there.

Now I'm wondering, what settings could be wrong here? Could it be something directly on TrueNAS that's slowing things down or my fstab mount parameters?
These are the ones I'm currently using: XXXXXXXX.XXX:/mnt/pool_4x12/Backups/Proxmox_BackupServer /mnt/TrueNAS_PBSShare nfs vers=3,nouser,atime,auto,retrans=2,rw,dev,exec 0 0
And the TrueNAS Scale NFS share settings (I had to put "root" in Maproot/Mapgroup so PBS wouldn't throw a "Operation not permitted" error):

1711619554638.png 1711619570853.png

I think I figured out a solution for this. I cross-checked the mount options one of my PVE hosts had which had very good speeds and simply used those on PBS too, now the speeds are way above 240MBit/s which is way acceptable :)

If you want to replicate this simply mount your NFS share on a PVE host first, then run the following in a shell:
cat /proc/mounts

Search for the host you added and copy those parameters over to your PBS host's /etc/fstab, in my case this was (censored some data):
XXXXXXXX.XXX:/mnt/pool_4x12/Backups/Proxmox_Backups /mnt/pve/TrueNAS1_ProxmoxBackup nfs rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=XX.XX.XX.XX,mountvers=3,mountport=44431,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=XX.XX.XX.XX 0 0

This seems to be the solution for my case at least, your results may vary of course!

Using "relatime" instead of "atime" could make a big difference as then not every read will cause an additional write.

Using "relatime" instead of "atime" could make a big difference as then not every read will cause an additional write.
Yeah, that's potentially what the fix was that I posted boils down to :) Not a Linux expert or anything and just dabbling along but this definitely seems like it did a trick!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!