TASK ERROR: unable to create VM

flyyboyy

Jul 3, 2023
Need a little bit of direction (or perhaps some handholding). . .

Installed and have been using PM for the past year and everything has been working fine - until recently when I separated my network into VLANS and began using pfsense. I have most (almost) everything working, though I now want to create a new VM for a Plex Server running on ubuntu-22.04.

PVE is on VLAN 20 (used for entertainment devices), and storage is on TrueNAS on VLAN 1 (for my primary secured devices).

The error shows: TASK ERROR: unable to create VM 101 - mkdir /mnt/pve/TrueNAS/images/101: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/Plugin.pm line 855
Line 855 is: mkpath $imagedir;

Is this an ACL issue in TrueNAS? Or something in PM? (Sorry, I'm in aviation and obviously not an IT guy, though I continue to learn. . .)

Thanks - flyyboyy

Is this an ACL issue in TrueNAS? Or something in PM? (Sorry, I'm in aviation and obviously not an IT guy, though I continue to learn. . .)
It is an ACL , either NFS or File system level on TrueNAS.
Try as root to create a file there as a test : touch [path]/somefilename
does that work?

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
WOW, that was a fast reply!!!
Okay, gonna need that hand-holding right off the start.

I assume you mean to SSH? Into TrueNAS?
(Sorry, I continue to struggle with Linux. No problem with the touch command, just not sure where to use it and how to get there - sorry!)

I assume you mean to SSH?
Either SSH or via GUI "node shell" will work.
Into TrueNAS?
No, PVE, since that is a client. You may need to change things on Truenas depending on what you find on your client (PVE).
You can also manually run the mkdir command that failed, and examine the path to ensure you have appropriate permissions.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Okay, did it within the Shell.
Tried first to make the /101 directory; permission denied
Tried next to touch TESTFILE in the /images directory; again, permission denied

Code:
Linux pve01 6.2.16-19-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.2.16-19 (2023-10-24T12:07Z) x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Tue Mar 26 10:22:21 MST 2024 on pts/1
root@pve01:~# mkdir /mnt/pve/TrueNAS/images/101
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/mnt/pve/TrueNAS/images/101’: Permission denied
root@pve01:~# touch /mnt/pve/TrueNAS/images/101/TESTFILE
touch: cannot touch '/mnt/pve/TrueNAS/images/101/TESTFILE': No such file or directory
root@pve01:~# touch /mnt/pve/TrueNAS/images/TESTFILE
touch: cannot touch '/mnt/pve/TrueNAS/images/TESTFILE': Permission denied
root@pve01:~#

As a test, you can also try at "/mnt/pve/TrueNAS/" level, I expect same result.
Then you need to review your NFS ACLs on truenas, perhaps Root Squash options, may be RW.

If you change any options, you will likely need to remount, which would require PVE service resart.
It may be easier to mount the NFS path directly outside of PVE control for testing.
good luck

Okaaaaaay, got a lot of reading/study to do. Gonna try to refresh my rusty brain about NFS ACLs (plus I know nothing about Root Squash!)

It may be easier to mount the NFS path directly outside of PVE control for testing.
Not sure how to do that, but will try to read up on it.

Really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction (I had no idea even where to start.) Hope I can resolve it myself now.

Thanks again so very much for your help!

Reactions: bbgeek17

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!