Synology disk storage best practice

fandreas

Dec 10, 2023
Hello,

I am relatively new to Proxmox. If one would use a Synology Disk Station with 10GbE, RAID10 with spinning disks and NFS share as datastore, what would be your best practice for 2 or 3 virtual Windows machines on an Intel NUC or another mini pc/server connected to this synology disk station with a single direct attached Ethernet cable? I would like to take a keep it simple approach, but reliable. Data safety is a thing, uptime not so much.

How would you handle the following things...

PVE Host-Installation on PC -> Backups? Raid? PXE??
Backups of VMs -> Go with Proxmox backup or Synology Snapshot Replication? Both?
Restore of PVE Host -> Checklist with manual installation? Another approach? (it will be a simple configuration)
Restore of VMs -> I would assume this is two or three clicks?

The Disk Station with it's services is the main part of the network. But it's necessary to run one or two windows machines. Synology VMM is such a slow solution when it comes to disk performance in the virtualization and of course the CPU is limiting.

Regards
Andreas

Hi Andreas, I've been using Proxmox for a while and I've just introduced a Synology Disk Station to my network. I'm in a similar situation, setting up a spare micro PC with Proxmox and I'm wondering how you decided to go with your approach?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!