Switch between virtual machines using the same passthrough device without shutting them down.

Howking

Mar 27, 2024
Is it possible to configure Proxmox so that I can switch between two virtual machines using passthrough for the same device? I don’t need both virtual machines to run at the same time, but when switching, one should be paused and the other started, and vice versa. But the paused one must release the device for the other one and vice versa.
The fact that I turn off one virtual machine and start another is already functional for me. I don’t know how to make it work without turning off - using pause. Is it possible? And how?
Will this work for the above case, where both virtual machines use passthrough for the same device?

(I originally wanted macOS with the uhd graphics 630 iGPU and Windows with the RX6900XT, but I can't get the iGPU to work. I've been struggling with this for over a week now. Immediately after booting the virtual machine the screen shuts down - it loses signal and the UEFI Proxmox menu doesn't appear either - I give up)

I got Virtual macOS running with RX6900XT. Windows I think won't be a problem at all.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!