Struggling with LDAP filters for AD sync

josephthejoe

Apr 10, 2021
Ive never really done much with LDAP filters before, and I am struggling to create one for my setup. The groups is another issue but right now I am just trying to make one for users. Here is what I have tried already.

I have tried
memberOf=CN=pve_admins,OU=users,DC=ad,DC=test,DC=com

memberOf=CN=pve_admins,DC=ad,DC=test,DC=com

I even tried adding a (& to the start. adding and removing () etc.

I am setting the user class in the UI
1709092204096.png

I have found other posts/blogs where folks seem to be successful with the above syntax but it is not working for me.

If I sync without any filter all my groups and users get synced just fine, but I would like to filter it.

Proxmox 8.1.3

I am clearly missing something. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Hi,

what is the exact FQDN of such a user and the group, for reference? Also, does the user and group really have the class you specified?
What LDAP server implementation do you use?

If you want to filter users by its group membership, you need to enter the filter into the User filter textbox.
Also, please share the task log of a synchronization run (best would be with and without filter), without this it's pretty hard to say what's happening.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!