Strange permission check error when trying to clone a Template

Mar 22, 2021
Hello,
we just added another node to our proxmox cluster. I created some templates, gave the same group permissions to the template as on the other nodes: PVETemplateUserbut

Now users are complaining they cannot clone that template on that new node.

The error message is:

Permission check failed (/sdn/zones/localnetwork/vmbr0, SDN.Use) (403)

It looks like some insufficiant permissions on the network card but I don't have a clue ?

the error tells you which privilege you are missing (SDN.Use on the vmbr0 bridge). this privilege is required for adding new nics (or creating new guests using nics) on a certain bridge/vnet. it's not required for using the guest afterwards.

Hello Fabian and thans for your answer.

Should I create a new Role or ? And I don't see such privilege in the list: SDN.use ?

Plus I am wondering why the other templates on the other nodes are working just fine without this privelege ?

the "PVESDNUser" role allows access, but you can also add the privilege to a custom role. if you don't see it, please double check that all your nodes are running 8.x and that your browser hasn't cached any outdated files.

I don't have such role, only PVESDNAdmin with SDN.Allocate and SDN.Audit privileges.

And 3 of the nodes are at 7.x only the newst one is at 8.x, is that a problem ?

yes, please upgrade all of them

did you use the right path for the ACL? please provide more details (pveversion -v, errors/task logs, user.cfg entries that are relevant)

Hello, I found the right thing to do.
On the left side there's a new resource called localnetwork and add the group permission there. - PVESDNUser

Now it is working fine.
Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!