Storage setup and update

harpmonkey

Oct 28, 2021
Hi all,

I have an existing NUC set up with proxmox for use with two nodes:
1) Home Assistant
2) Ubuntu/Plex/Unifi network controller

The system was hacked together pretty quickly and I've lost track of steps taken and considerations, however I have gotten to the point of running out of disk space.
Existing setup has a 2.5" internal SATA Crucial CX500 SSD - 250gb (used for all proxmox and vm storage) and an external 500gb usb drive for general file storage.

I have purchased a new Crucial MX500 SATA SSD 4tb drive for usage, but am a bit confused as to the best path forward.

The existing 250gb SSD is organised into a 240gb LVM volume group (95% full) and an LVM-Thin 150Gb (85% full). I don't even understand how this works, as values clearly don't add up :)

I had planned originally to just switch out my existing 500gb external drive for the new 4tb (which is mainly for plex and general storage), but given the usage of the existing internal drive, I'm thinking I need to rebuild.

What is the best path forward, considering simplicity, redundancy (no super critical data - its essentially a hobby server) and flexibility. I'm confused by the various options. (LVM, Directory, LVM-Thin, ZFS, ext4 etc etc). I currently also don't have backups for the nodes set up, so want that incorporated too.
I am not expecting to change general requirements at this stage (2 nodes etc), but may want to include for a home camera NVR storage, which is why I am keeping my m.2 slot free, so I can fit in a coral device. A bit of googling also advised against ZFS due to memory usage (I only have 16gb to use at this stage).

As far as I can tell the main options are:
1) Just switch out the existing 500gb external drive for the new 4tb (hooked up via usb) to expand my general storage options
2) replace the internal 250gb SATA SSD with the new 4tb one, and then try to divvy it up between proxmox, vm storage, plex media storage, potential future camera NVR storage - probably backup proxmox vms to the old external drive.

Any clear drivers or direction you think I should head in? Apologies, complete rookie at both proxmox and storage detail.

regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!