Storage options in a cluster?

C

claytonjr

Hi, I have a two node cluster. PM1 is the weaker, master node. PM2 is the more powerful slave node. I've recently added 2 extra hard drives to the PM2 node, in an effort to extend storage options for my cluster. Each of HDDs has its own LVM. However, despite configuring the LVMs for PM2, I've no option to extend the storage from PM1 web front end.

I have the option to configure the storage for PM2 from its own web front end. However, because the PM2 is part of a cluster, the web front end will not allow me to add the new storage. I don't have write access.

I need a way to add extra storage to ANY node, and make it available to ALL nodes. What options do I have to configure PM2's storage from PM1's web front end?

Version information for both nodes:
Code:
pve-manager: 1.9-24 (pve-manager/1.9/6542)
running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.9-47
pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve: 2.6.32-47
qemu-server: 1.1-32
pve-firmware: 1.0-14
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-2pve1
vzdump: 1.2-16
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

Storage config is distributed to all nodes. Just use lvm command line tools to create necessary VGs on PM1.

Storage config is distributed to all nodes. Just use lvm command line tools to create necessary VGs on PM1.
Hi Dietmar, thank you for your prompt reply. But I am afraid that I am still confused. The extra storage is on PM2. To my knowledge, the commandline tools on PM1 isn't aware of any storage on PM2, or any other node on my computer network.

However, I've noticed that PM1 has access and/or is aware of the pve-root VG on PM2. What happens during the registration process, when a node is added to a cluster, that it registers the pve-root VG as accessible resource from PM1 -> PM2

Do I need to add the same VG names on PM1, so that they will sync up with PM2? If so, then the problem is that PM1 is the weaker node in the cluster. I didn't intend to add extra storage to it.

Can you or someone please add some thoughtful insight? I'm afraid I've spent a few days scouring for documentation, have come up empty handed, and find it odd that no body has asked this question on the forum before.

Perhaps I can pay for support? I am kindly awaiting your response.

The idea is that all nodes have same storage configuration. It is up to you to assure that the node has access to that storage.

For example you can add fake VGs on PM1 with the same names as on PM2 (they can be very small because you do not want to use them anyways).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!