Storage linking to VM

madroamer

Oct 9, 2023
Hi

I just installed proxmox..

In pve - > disks

I see both 1tb ssd(proxmox installed) and 8tb HDD with ntfd format and has windows with 7drives.

I installed truenas as vm in proxmox. Now in truenas I can't see all disks to create pool nor I see the ssd too. How to have all drive in truenas vm too

Thats not how block devices work. You can only mount them at one OS at a time or you will corrupt the data. So a partition used by PVE can't be used in a TrueNAS VM.
What you could do is to store a virtual disk on the SSD and use that virtual disk for your VM.

And whats the point with with Windows and NTFS on the HDD? TrueNAS uses ZFS and wants an entire empty disk to create a pool.
If you don't want to lose the data on the HDD but want a HDD for TrueNAS I would buy a new empty CMR HDD and then use disk passthrough to bring that disk into the TrueNAS VM and then use that disk inside TrueNAS to create a new pool. Or better get 2 disks, if you care about your data, so you could create a mirror.

Last edited:
Thats not how block devices work. You can only mount them at one OS at a time or you will corrupt the data. So a partition used by PVE can't be used in a TrueNAS VM.
What you could do is to store a virtual disk on the SSD and use that virtual disk for your VM.

And whats the point with with Windows and NTFS on the HDD? TrueNAS uses ZFS and wants an entire empty disk to create a pool.
If you don't want to lose the data on the HDD but want a HDD for TrueNAS I would buy a new empty CMR HDD and then use disk passthrough to bring that disk into the TrueNAS VM and then use that disk inside TrueNAS to create a new pool. Or better get 2 disks, if you care about your data, so you could create a mirror.
I am already running windows in hdd.. It has lot of data and softwares configured and running in windows 11..

now only starting proxmox and vms. I need to use windows too for official work..so planned to copy existing windows itself as vm. But I can't see any drives in truenas vm

Last edited:
But I can't see any drives in truenas vm
Yes, that is not how virtualization works. A VM can't see/use any of the real physical hardware of that computer. All it can work with is virtual hardware unless you make use of PCI passthrough. So you will have to work with virtual hardware or use passthrough. But when passing through hardware into a VM both the host and all other VMs wont be able to use that hardware anymore.
Without passthrough a VM won't be able to use your GPU, soundcard, disks, usb devices and so on.

Last edited:
use disk2vhd https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd import disk to VM
be careful you know what you are doing wrt virtual hjardware (for example if the disk is UEFI and you had a TPM you will need all of that)

this is what i did to migrate from hyper-v https://gist.github.com/scyto/e9cf5df1100edfdfb3a6104d6b288a1d

once you have a vhdx snapshot of the physical hdd the process would basically be the same (and for truenas i gues the principles would be the same, dunno, never used it - but why the heck do you want to run the VM in truenas? run it in promox and have the VM access truenas over the network - it should be very fast as it should never touch the wire IIRC and if you do it right)

Last edited:
Reactions: madroamer
use disk2vhd https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd import disk to VM
be careful you know what you are doing wrt virtual hjardware (for example if the disk is UEFI and you had a TPM you will need all of that)

this is what i did to migrate from hyper-v https://gist.github.com/scyto/e9cf5df1100edfdfb3a6104d6b288a1d

once you have a vhdx snapshot of the physical hdd the process would basically be the same (and for truenas i gues the principles would be the same, dunno, never used it - but why the heck do you want to run the VM in truenas? run it in promox and have the VM access truenas over the network - it should be very fast as it should never touch the wire IIRC and if you do it right)
Hi

I want to run windows in proxmox vm only.. I want to access files and also store data via truenas too..

Currently I already have full working windows and don't want to make fresh install as my windows is configured for various softwares..

I want to run windows in proxmox vm only.. I want to access files and also store data via truenas too..
It won't work that way. If you want to access the same files from TrueNAS and Windows your storage needs to be on a ZFS pool on TrueNAS shared via SMB and you then mount that SMB share over the network on your Win VM.

Reactions: scyto

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!