SSD-Storage for Proxmox 2 node cluster with ZFS HA Replcation

M_Fiber

Jul 14, 2023
Hello everyone,

I want to build a new proxmox cluster with 2 nodes. We have old servers (Dell PowerEdge R630) where I want to run in HA cluster with a thrid mini PC as quorum client. The nodes should be connected via 10G interface and do ZFS replication to the local disks of the server.

Till now I don't have storage for the server. Because the price difference between SSDs and SAS HDDs is not that big anymore, I would like to install SSDs right now.
Storage configuration per server I thought about: (file system ZFS)
- 2x Samsung SSD PM883 0,96TB in Raidz1 for Proxmox Hypervisior
- 4x Samsung PM1643a 1,9TB in Raidz1 as datastore for the VMs

Are these two SSD types suitable for my use case? Alternatively, could a customer SSD like a Samsung 870Evo with only 500GB be used for the hypervisor storage too?

Many thanks in advance.

Matthias

What about a mirror for the hypervisor and RAID10 for VMs?
I'm not a ZFS expert but I recall RAIDZ IOPS being the same as a single drive.

I guess he is screwing up terminology. Raidz1 = raid5 and this requires 3 or more disks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!