SPICE performance sluggish

kazi

Jan 18, 2024
Hi,
Everything working fine except spice over vpn. It's really slow. The client VM is 32 GB memory. and How to resolve this issue?
Thanks

The problem is when I use inside the Network (LAN) , the spice is working fine but when I use over VPN then really slow. How to overcome this issue? Most of the users are using VPN to use their VM.

The problem is when I use inside the Network (LAN) , the spice is working fine but when I use over VPN then really slow. How to overcome this issue? Most of the users are using VPN to use their VM.
VPN needs CPU (for encryption etc.) and bandwidth; increase both for better performance. I fail to see how Proxmox is involved here.

Reactions: gfngfn256
My vpn server is already setup

# TCP or UDP server?
;proto tcp
proto udp

But still slow. My all users are complaining about the slow spice behavior. please help me. I have over 300 VMs.

I am using Rocky 8 for OpenVPN server, I did not find the kmod-ovpn-dco and the dependency package dkms. Do you know the url?

My vpn server is already setup

# TCP or UDP server?
;proto tcp
proto udp

But still slow. My all users are complaining about the slow spice behavior. please help me. I have over 300 VMs.
This is okay, server using UDP.

Can you check on the Proxmox server the CPU performance and clock-speed settings?
Code:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/*/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq

It is possible, the "PowerSavings" options (C-States) downclocking the CPU performance, if true, then set to "perfomance" or disable all "PowerSavings" option in BIOS.
Code:
$> apt-get install cpufrequtils

$> cpufreq-info
$> cpufreq-set -g performance
$> cpufreq-info

/etc/init.d/cpufrequtils
GOVERNOR=performance

$> systemctl daemon-reload

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!