Spam being sent from my proxmox mail gateway

launcap

May 3, 2024
Hi all,

In the last week or so I've had two big spam runs being sent from my proxmox mail gateway - the logs all are like this:

Received: from [xx.xx.xx.xx] (port=42320 helo=pmg.l**********) by mailgate.******** with esmtps (TLS1.2) tls TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (Exim 4.97.1) (envelope-from <support@christadelphiansatbath.org.uk>) id 1s2Yr7-0000000067c-1TW7 for varindermander1@gmail.com; Thu, 02 May 2024 17:00:21 +0100
Received: from pmg.*******k (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]) by pmg.******** (Proxmox) with ESMTP id 679951823F6 for <varindermander1@gmail.com>; Thu, 2 May 2024 17:00:21 +0100 (BST)
To: varindermander1@gmail.com
Subject: Review Account

*details intentionally obscured!

PMG *only* has SMTP exposed to the internet - no ssh or login-capable interfaces.

So, unless the headers have been rewritten without me being able to detect (those logs are from the SMTP module on my firewall - since disabled) I haven't got a clue how it's happening. It's obviously not coming from another VM on the network (otherwise there would be more entries in the headers)

Any ideas? The appliance is up to date as far as updates are concerned, there's no other users logged into it (the only other people in the house are my wife and various cats and dogs and none of them have the technical knowledge how to do it, especially the dogs!), chkrootkit shows no rootkits present (not that that's hugely reliable against modern rootkits).

I really hope I don't have to migrate away from PMG as it's taken quite a bit of change for me to put it in (my firewall is quite old and what I'm moving to doesn't have an SMTP proxy so putting in PMG was my first step on that project).

Cheers,
Phil.

PS: Whatever is doing it is bypassing the Tracking Centre - none of the spam emails appear in there

Last edited:
check the logs on PMG itself - if there is no record of those mails passing through PMG then it's possible that the mails simply came from somewhere else.

Is the IP in the Received headers really pointing to your PMG?
Received: from pmg.*******k (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]) by pmg.******** (Proxmox) with ESMTP id 679951823F6 for <varindermander1@gmail.com>; Thu, 2 May 2024 17:00:21 +0100 (BST)
There should be another received line where the sending system is written - then you can see if that system is compromised ...

check the logs on PMG itself - if there is no record of those mails passing through PMG then it's possible that the mails simply came from somewhere else.

Nothing in the logs on the PMG but the firewall SMTP logs showed the originating IP as the PMG

There should be another received line where the sending system is written - then you can see if that system is compromised ...

Nope - sadly there were only two 'received' headers - one was the PMG (with the correct internal IP address) and the other was my firewall.

I've had one more attempt since then (which I propmtly dealt with) and nothing since. I have rebooted both the PMG and firewall since, maybe there was a non-persistent crack running (although how I don't understand) that got cleared by the reboot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!