Snapshot Not Working. Out of space.

May 17, 2021
I have set up my volume to be thin-provisioned. I am trying to snapshot a VM to run updates but when I do, proxmox says I am out of space.
TASK ERROR: zfs error: cannot create snapshot 'VMStorage/vm-101-disk-2@Test': out of space

Here is the output of zfs list:
NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
VMStorage 8.36T 4.15T 24K /VMStorage
VMStorage/vm-101-disk-2 7.62T 7.17T 4.60T -

Do I need to add more disks to up the AVAIL? Looks like the disk2 is using an actual total of 4.6T and my total free storage is at 4.15T? Am I reading this right?

zfs list -o space will give you some additional information.
You probably didn't checked the "Thin" checkbox when creating that ZFS storage? In that case it wouldn't be thin-provisioned.

I did not check the box until after reading another article says that I would need the entire reserved space for a snapshot. Here is the output of the command:
NAME AVAIL USED USEDSNAP USEDDS USEDREFRESERV USEDCHILD
VMStorage 4.15T 8.36T 0B 24K 0B 8.36T
VMStorage/vm-101-disk-2 7.17T 7.62T 0B 4.60T 3.01T 0B

Is there anything I can do to force the thin-provision?

You could use "zfs set" command to remove the refreservation of that zvol. And please put your outputs between CODE-tags in the future. A pain to read those tables otherwise.

So something like: zfs set refreservation=none VMStorage/vm-101-disk-2

Last edited:
Here is the output of zfs get reservation VMStorage/vm-101-disk-2

Code:
NAME                     PROPERTY     VALUE   SOURCE
VMStorage/vm-101-disk-2  reservation  none    default

Is that the setting I should be looking at?

I really meant "refreservation" and not "reservation".

Last edited:
I did not change the reservation setting on that volume. It was already like that. Running zfs list -o space shows the same as before

Code:
NAME                     AVAIL   USED  USEDSNAP  USEDDS  USEDREFRESERV  USEDCHILD
VMStorage                4.15T  8.36T        0B     24K             0B      8.36T
VMStorage/vm-101-disk-2  7.17T  7.62T        0B   4.60T          3.01T         0B

Sorry, I missed that. Looked too much like reservation.

That worked! Thank you.

Since I set the thin-provision after I built all of my VMs, is it best to run that set command on all of the other volumes for the VMs?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!