Simultaneously running pfSense & FreeNAS

S

smirk99

Dear ProxMox Community,

I'm in taking part in an event where I've been put in charge of setting up some basic networking infrastructure. The network I'm implementing is part of a larger local network.

I wanted to know if you guys could tell me how to configure ProxMox with pfSense and FreeNAS in order for both guests (pfSense & FreeNAS) to run at the same time.

This is the setup I'm looking for: Box that boots into ProxMox. Box has 2 NICs. ProxMox has pfSense and FreeNAS as guests. NIC #1 receives an address from a static IP from the larger network. Once ProxMox is started and pfSense is loaded, I want pfSense to handle traffic from a switch connected to NIC #2 and send it to the internet (at NIC #1) through NAT or something similar (maybe a bridge?). FreeNAS will run (unsure of the NIC location) beside pfSense.

Could you guys maybe help me with some details of this configuration? Running a fileserver beside the router would really ease up some of our budget limits.

Essentially, how do I run pfSense as my router (handling switches, clients, APs) and FreeNAS as my fileserver simultaneously on a ProxMox box?

Thank you for your time!

Hi,
pve can handle a lot of VMs simultanously, so I don't unserstand your question. Simply create an VM with pfsense, and another for the fileserver.

I'm not sure if FreeNAS runs without trouble in a vm, but there are other Nas-distros (take a look at openattic.org) which are running well.

Udo

Hi,
pve can handle a lot of VMs simultanously, so I don't unserstand your question. Simply create an VM with pfsense, and another for the fileserver.

I'm not sure if FreeNAS runs without trouble in a vm, but there are other Nas-distros (take a look at openattic.org) which are running well.

Udo

My question is more about how I configure the NICs in PVE for them to work with pfSense.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!