Shrink VM-disk size (ubuntu, raw, ext4)

michu

May 20, 2010
Hi,

I have some VMs with Ubuntu 10.04 (ext4 filesystem on raw disk image) inside Promox 1.9.
The problem is with their disk size. For example my FTP machine has disk-2.raw mounted as /srv/ftp/data
The real allocated space inside quest is 12GB (df -h), but inside Proxmox file size is nearly 45GB.
I know that is correct because this space is used in raw file.

Actually I need to shrink this partition (I mean zero usused space).
I was thinking about zerofree util inside quest machine, but docs says it doesn't support ext4 filesystem :(

So is there other (quite easy) way to do it ?

Sorry for my english.
Regards
michu

Hi dietmar,

Thanks for tip. I'll try later (evening). Now it can kill I/O on my machine.

Regards
michu

Dietmar, I tried this on test machine with 20GB HDD, after all it shows that 19GB is used (via GUI menu: "Storage" option).
It seems it doesn't help :/

Regards
michu

Dietmar, I tried this on test machine with 20GB HDD, after all it shows that 19GB is used (via GUI menu: "Storage" option).
It seems it doesn't help :/

It is still allocated on the host file system. But I guess backup files will be much smaller now.What problem do you want to solve exactly? Future versions will include a guest agent, which will report disk size from inside the guest.

Dietmar, you are right the backup size decreased (but backup time is the same).
So there are still 2 issues:

1) Backup time.
2) Host system show bigger size than it's real - but your quest agent will fix it in the future -> here is one question, how it will work ?

How about using cp --sparse=always ? cp manual says that zero bytes (from /dev/zero) will be sparsified. Is it safe for ext4 filesystem ? Anyone tried this ?

For backup time, I usually schedule backups at 2am of saturday or suday, when the workload is really low.
I've found that changing ionice from default 7 to 4 dramatically reduces backup time (i.e. a 320 SAS LVM VM, backed up into a sata disk, snapsot mode, has dropped from 23 hours to 3:30!)
So edit (create if does not exist):
/etc/vzdump.conf
enter
ionice: 4
and let us know :)

For backup time, I usually schedule backups at 2am of saturday or suday, when the workload is really low.
I've found that changing ionice from default 7 to 4 dramatically reduces backup time (i.e. a 320 SAS LVM VM, backed up into a sata disk, snapsot mode, has dropped from 23 hours to 3:30!)
So edit (create if does not exist):
/etc/vzdump.conf
enter
ionice: 4
and let us know :)

I backup weekly on second machine via SSH (fuse.ssh). I don't think that ionice improve significaly backup speed since it's network resource :/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!