Server Unable to Reach Network Post PVE 7.4 Install

pvenoob22

Mar 27, 2024
Hi all, apologies for my ignorance on this topic, pretty new to Linux / Proxmox.

Just recently got my hands on an old Nutanix server and wanted to mess around with some virtual machines.

I installed PVE 7.4 as version 8 would not boot (assuming incompatible with the older hardware)

After the install and configuring network settings, I still am unable to see the server on my network.

/etc/network/interfaces config:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 172.16.16.60/24
gateway 172.16.16.16
bridge-ports eth1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Originally, I configured eth0 as my interface during the OS install. After the install I was unable to reach/ping my gateway, I ran "ifreload -a" and saw the error that "eth0" didn't exist.

I ran "ip addr" and saw it in fact did not exist, but eth1 was showing up. So I modified the interfaces file and updated "bridge-ports" to use "eth1" (as shown above).

ran "ifreload", this time received no errors but still could not ping gateway.

I then noticed all of my interfaces showed NO-CARRIER with "ip addr", I ensured the cable is working and tested with my laptop to make sure I can reach my network from the same cable / port on my switch.

dmesg | grep eth1 shows the port entering "disabled state" then finally landing on "entered promiscuous state". I believe this should be going to "forwarding state" but it's not.

Any help would be appreciated. My googling has only taken me so far and I've yet to find threads with solutions that resolve my issue.

I'm thinking it may be driver related but not sure how to confirm / resolve if that was the issue given it's linux.

Was able to figure it out...

The Nutanix server had three interfaces on the NIC to choose from. I plugged it into the first slot.

Looked at my switch port and saw the link status was FE.

Swapped the cable to the second port on the server and came online lol.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!